I need some help for the medical problem my husband has. He is suffering from lung disease and the fact that he stopped smoking now indicates how serious his condition is. Until further treatment is set, he has been prescribed with NAC and vit C. I have heard that NAC requires additional vitamin C intake. Why?

NAC or n-acetyl-cysteine is a substance that neutralizes acetaldehyde but it is supposedly disintegrated in the body very fast so its full effect might not be felt unless vitamin C is used which can prolong the oxidation of certain amino acids in the body. So I guess that without vit C, the med he uses will not help much…

N-acetyl-cysteine is one of the treatments that is most often prescribed for several conditions, among them lung diseases being one of the most important ones. It is basically a building block for amino-acid, the substance our body needs to function normally. But, amino-acids are formed only in the body, they can’t be found in food and vitamin C plays important role in making n-acetyl-cysteine effective in building amino-acid that helps with your husband’s condition.

In any case, both NAC and vitamin C act as antioxidants that help to prevent cell damage. What is more important, as long as your husband is taking both NAC and vitamin C in prescribed doses, there are virtually no side effects these medications might cause.