Hi!

I'm hoping someone can help me out with the dark circles under my eyes. I have had them for a few years now and try to conceal them with makeup, but then I read that some people say applying Vitamin C powder directly on the face is a good way to get rid of them. 

Now I'd like to know which powder to get and how to apply it, as well as of course whether it is a fad treatment that does nothing or something that really works. If you have used Vitamin C powder on your face to get rid of dark circles, please help!

Abby

With products to tackle the lower eyelids becoming more and more popular nowadays, it's important to remember that dark circles under your eyes can be caused by numerous different things. Obviously, if you've had them for years and get enough sleep, they aren't about being tired as so many people will inevitably and offensively tell you. Vitamin C does minimize melanin, which means that if your dark circles are being caused by excess pigment then yes, you will have visible improvement if you start using it. But if you are not sure what is causing your dark circles, seeing your doctor or even a dermatologist will save you the frustration of using a product that is not going to do much for you at all.

I don't know much about this either but I had a vit C serum in the past and it really made my skin look great. They are not cheap though, so looking around some forums I discovered you can make your own. That is really where the Vit C POWDER comes in. No, you don't apply it directly to the skin. Because vit C is supposed to be unstable, meaning it loses its properties quickly, you add the powder to distilled water and then it will last you a few days. Some people add all kinds of other things like vitamin E oil and other essential oils to create their very own exclusive skin product just the way they like it. I'm pretty impressed! I'd like to dabble in this myself but I am planning to do some more research into using the best ingredients first. You can start off with just the vit C powder and the water though. Very simple. They also say to keep it in a dark bottle to extend its shelf life somewhat once you have mixed it together.

I've been looking and looking specifically for "Vitamin C powder directly on the face" as well, but no matter how many things I click on, I gotta say there's just nothing out there. So nope, you don't apply that stuff directly on the face, but you mix it in with other stuff like your moisturizer or make a home made serum, which seems to be a huge fad going on at the moment. Yeah, they do mention vitamin C powder (again, yeah, added in things) gets rid of pigment spots, so you probably have a good chance of transforming dark circles under your eyes with that too. Just look for how to make your own serum and follow the instructions...

Using Vitamin C on your facial skin is really important, because unlike most products it will reach the epidermis, the deeper layer of the skin, giving you much more than a superficial boost. As you age, you will really start seeing lines on your skin, and Vitamin C will do a great deal to delay their proliferation. Because it is water soluable it starts oxidizing as soon as it touches water. That thing your parents said about orange juice losing its vitamins if you leave it stand too long? They were right. The same thing happens to Vitamin C serums which you buy in a store. That is why Vitamin C powder is so awesome. Cosmetics Pure C mixing crystals is a wonderful product. You can activate it by putting it into another product and then you apply it directly to your skin. The long and short of this is that Vitamin C is so unstable, and by using the powder version you keep it neutral until you add it to something else. Add a little at first and then build it up.

What powder should I go for if I am interested in adding it to facial oils? Philosophy is one that is mentioned pretty often, and I had never heard of the one mentioned upthread. I googled it and came up with a product called CosMedix Pure C Mixing Crystals that's in a small gray container. Is that the one? That one costs $40 and can be added to anything, I think? Because I have never used it before and I have heard that it can damage the skin, I'd like some more information before buying anything.

Vitamin C in any form is going to be good for your skin. It fights free radicals that cause wrinkles and makes you look brighter and younger because it also counters sun damage and boosts collagen production. It promotes skin healing, which means those pimples don't leave long lasting damage. Ascorbic acid is the form of Vitamin C that is most backed by research. If you have particularly problematic areas on the skin, such as sun damage or spots, or lines, just applying it directly onto your skin is very good. For just general skin care any form of Vitamin C will benefit your skin. You can invest in some powder for the stubborn spots we all get, but get any daycream with Vitamin C and you are bound to notice improvements to the quality of your skin.

Topical Vitamin C is a must for anyone who is serious about maintaining a bright and beautiful face! It gives you a collagen boost, leading to fewer lines, protects you from sun damage, and brighten the skin. If I understand correctly, using a serum is more effective than adding powder to a moisturizer. That is because it is absorbed more easily and more deeply. On the other hand, Vitamin C is very unstable and being part of a serum can lead to it oxidize.

Yes, vitamin C serum is excellent for dark circles under the eyes. The skin is thinner and more sensitive there, and the fact is that the skin under your eyes will show signs of aging far earlier than the other skin areas on your face. Except for working to fade dark circles, vitamin C eye serums will also target fine lines and puffiness, which are the other two main problems around the eyes. I have been using Elle Avi's vitamin C serum for the areas under the eyes and I have seen very clear differences since starting it. These serums can go from very affordable like the one I am using to really expensive, but for me it seems the cheaper ones do what I need it for just fine.

Ehm, nope.

Most vitamin C products are serums, meaning they are liquids, but some vitamin C powders are on the market. They are not made to be applied directly on the skin in powder form at all, but they are instead meant to be mixed in with another product you are using, like a serum or a day cream. Applying just powder on your skin wont do it any good. It will just drop off and won't have the chance to be absorbed by your skin so you will just be wasting your money. Don't do it.

Bump in case it helps new member.

I apply the powder directly to my skin and it doesn't "drop off". A while later I apply a serum or moisturizer. Some cosmetic brands, such as Skinceuticals, sell their vitamin C in powder form too.