It's been a while since anyone has posted any fresh stories about pregnancies occurring after vasectomies were done (after the SA's where clear - past the "20 ejaculations" window period) (I have done alot of research and I know all about the 1:2000 etc chance of failure and so on.. although I have read of alot more and we have 3 friends that have had failures after the "window period")

My hubby (35) had a vasectomy in Nov 2008. He has a little girl from his previous marriage and after the divorce (in which ex took everything) he was so emotionally traumatized that he vowed never to put himself at risk of loosing everything again so he had a vasectomy. Then he met me.. ha ha.. Its only been about 16-17 months and so far so good. I don't have any kids and would love to have one in the future, but as things so it doesn't look like I'll be having any now.

What I wan't to know is if anyone has had any experience with late recanilization of the cut ends of the vas 1-3 years after their procedures. My hubby had alot of pain in the first few months after he shot his seeds, and now its not really so much pain as a nasty pinch or twicth like live wire (his description). he also had this strange pea sized lump form on one of the cut ends which has now hardened, and the other day when he felt it both sides of the vas deferends were attached to it. So we are now 100% sure the cut ends have rejoined. We took a fertiliscore home sperm test to check for any swimmers which came back neg (but I've now read that it only picks up anything above 10mil). He is a good healer and aparantly has super sperm as he got his first wife pg on the first try.

Is their any chance that these are indeed rejoining and how long (if ever) will it be before the little buggers will be back in action? does it take a while for the swimmers to re-appear in semen after the tubes has reconnected? He never did go back for tests (silly I know.. men, why go through all the trouble!!) But I am not on any BC and we haven't had any surprizes so far.

Sorry for the loooong post. It feels good to be able to get it all off my chest and I am very hopeful for some good responses from everyone out there in the ethos.

I had a vasectomy about 35 years ago and from what the doctor described to me, it seems like the chances of it working again on it's own would have to be about a bazillion to one. Not only did he cut the tubes, he clamped both ends. The ends would have to miraculously find each other and grow back together AND both clamps would have to come off too.

Thanks for your reply.

My question still remains of how long it takes for the swimmers to reappear in the semen after the vas have rejoined. My hubby's vasectomy was done 17 months ago and the vas have rejoined in the past 2 months. They have DEFINITELY rejoined as you can feel them leading both was from and to his testicle. Its only on the RH side.

Does the rejoining of the vas (the actual reconnection) confirm recanalization? or is it something that could happen but never lead to any live motile sperm ever reappearing in ejaculate?

Thank you for your answers.

Oh, and his vasectomy was a bilateral, some of the vas removed and cauterised (burned) on both ends. No clips or sutures etc.

hi, my husband had a vascetomy exactly like yours did, to be sure the tubs reconnected you should see a vascetomy specialist to confirms this, because i think that even though they may have reconnected, the cauterised end would still be closed and blocking the sperm from flowing through, i know i have been told that the vas tubes can go back in a totally new spot reconnecting and sperm flowing again, and that there are support groups that couples can go to that help with the cost of surgery to reconnect the vas tubes, hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

We are going to see a urologist next week and he will probably let us know what the situation is.
Do you have any further information on the support groups? Are they UK based? We live in the UK.

Kind regards.

I am just now going through this and I may need to find a support group here in the U.S. My husband got his V soon after my daughter was born. She is now getting ready to turn 6. I am a week late and have been having weird mild cramping so I took a pregancy test, two actually, and they were positive. I told my husband tonight and he got so angry. We got in a big fight earlier this year and he thought I was cheating on him. So when I pop up pregnant he immediately feels that it isn't his. He says he'll wait until the baby is born and is it proves to be his then he will be happy. But what about the whole period of my pregnancy? Is he going to be spending it questioning me and treating my like a piece of sh*t because he thinks I cheated on him? I can't deal with that. I need a support system. I know for a fact that I didn't cheat on him. I would never do that. No matter what he thinks. And it hurts that he is acting this way. I definitely didn't want anymore. I am ready to move past all the little kid stuff. And if he is acting like an as****e I just don't think I will be able to cope well and keep a happy face for my other two kids.

to the two past posts, I do not know of a specific support group per say, I just know that they exist. You would have to google on the internet or perhaps call the hospitals or urologists docs and ask if they know of any groups, they probably do. To the lady who is pregnant, maybe have your husband get a sperm test that he can do at home from the doc that did his procedure. The doc that performed my husbands told us that if at anytime we wanted to test his sperm again that we could just call them and they would send us one and we could just pay the shipping or he could always go back into the office for free to have his sperm tested. This will confirm his sperm is flowing again and then he can be happy now instead of 9months from now. Or he can go in and the doc can confirm that his sperm is present again.

There's an easier way than that to check his sperm.

Have him borrow a microscope, or, go to a college laboratory that has one, OR, just to any highschool biology classroom.
While visiting the men's bathroom, have the man "donate" a sample of his sperm to be put on a slide (it's as easy as smearing some on a glass slide... or dilute it a little with tap water) and then slide it under the microscope. He can look through the eyepeice himself and see if he's got motile sperm thrashing about or not.

Just remember, the sperm must be FRESH, not several hours old, and not exposed to the freezing cold or hot sunshine or setting in his pocket for hours.... the fresher the better, cause ALL sperm will die, given enough time.

All it really takes is just ONE viable sperm... so check it out yourself!

Then, if you want to have a lab or a doctor confirm it, by all means, do it again for them and pay for written results.

Good luck.

Have him go to urologist to have his ejaculation tested for sperm... If it comes up negative though, you are SOL =)

well, my girl is Prego ! i had a V 13 years ago. Th tubes has reconnected and one clamp is missing?
I been an A$$ to her to feel like she cheated.... It's hard for a man. Sorry that he treated you that way. I'm working on being a nicer to her, don't want to hurt the baby.

I just tested positive. My fiance had a vasectomy 10 years ago. The Drs told me that I had blockage, and would not be able to conceive without an operation to have the scar tissue removed. Were 8 weeks pregnant ! . My miracle baby will be here October 28th. Im 42 , and he is 43. This will definately be an experience for the both of us. Im praying for a healthy pregnancy since I am up in age and Type II diabetic.

Hi my husband got a v 5 ms after my son was born he is about to be 2 in 5ms my husband is having problems with his balls he says they hurt and that he's getting lumps on them now I have read up on some of the stuff of like leaking into the ball due to over flow and that's what can cause the lumps I'm just scared of it growing back ...... Don't need anymore baby's have 3 :) this momma is happy with that number jw if anyone else has had this propblem

I know you posted this a while back but id like to know if you were able to achieve pregnancy, I am in the same boat as you which is why I ask.

I am in the same boat as you. My husband got a vasectomy in dec.2008. And we are now pregnant. It's hard trying to prove your faithful whe there are Dr. Saying it's impossible for him to father a child. He went from a absolute zero count to a zero to rare count 7yts later.