My 81 year old mother suffers from chronic venous ulcers on her right foot. She has closed return valves in her foot causing the blood to pool there. She has a lot of pain and is too stubborn to take pain meds as instructed. She has had oasis grafts (pig gut) and regular skin graft surgeries to close the holes but the ulcers continue to break through. Lots of bandages, drainage of exudate, etc. has been a constant for her for 8 years now. Leaves me feeling so helpless. ONe dr. told her to quit "doctor hopping" and take her medicine. Does anyone know if debriding is the only way to remove dead tissue? All wound care doctors have "dug" out the dead tissue but even gentle scrubbing with gauze hurts her terribly. I thought in this day and age that a person could have something to deaden pain. They use lidocaine but by the time the dr. gets in the room, it wears off as it only lasts 20 min. Is debriding the only method for a woman her age? anyone had this in their loved ones. It is the most terrible disease I have ever seen. at least with cancer they can keep you out of most pain. She could live another 10 years in this shape and it is so bad to watch.

To my knowledge that is the best method that they have, but I think that you should talk to the doctor about using lidocaine so that it isn't so painful for her. Have you spoken to her doctor or anything like that?