hi all, i had my bunion removed about 5 weeks ago, and after the dressings were removed, my big toe still leans towards the other toes and there is a huge bulge at the side of my foot, which still looks like a bunion. anyways, my surgeon is a bit concerned about this, and advised me to wear a special splint or toe separators religiously for a month, in the hopes that the toe will be realigned. he did say that it will be about 4 months until it is completely healed. any one else go through this and did the splint help?

I was so anxious to see if anyone had answered your question. I have also had the same problem I had my bunion removed on my right foot 3 months ago. I have tried on my own to wear toe separators to see if it would help. It has not. I am not pleased at all! Has anyone else out there had this same problem?

I had a double bunionectomy (sp?) on both feet a few years ago (about five months between each one). My toe was so much straighter than I ever remember it being but my feet took over a year to fully heal. I was on a no-impact exercise routine for a long time and I was in a full boot for the 5 weeks that I was recovering. It was a pain but the pain was gone which was the most important thing...even more important than having pretty feet. So if your foot feels better I wouldn't worry so much about the big toe slanting.

I had bunion surgery done on my left foot in 2006. my foot is so much better after I had my surgery. I still need my right foot worked on. Does anyone know some workouts that I could do to help my lose weight that will not bother my feet?

i had bunion surgery over summer...on both feet...they both still look slanted =(
even worse is that the pin moved in my left foot and its completely paralyzed my thumb until i get it removed..(getting surgery this week)

worst experience ever

my doctor told me the same thing..after surgery i looked right away and saw the same feet i had before going into surgery...the doctor told me o don't worry, it will heal and settle and it will be straight...
(she gave me a thing to tie on my toes too to keep it straight)

YEAH RIGHT!

its still not that straight...my right foot i have to focus all my attention to my muscles and hold my thumb straight with a lot of effort..
or else its slanted.

and left foot is a disaster right now

if after you come out of surgery and its not straight...its not going to miraculously become straight..that was supposed to occur during operation. :-|

im gonna go see a new dr. after i get the pin out and hopefully the new dr. can help me

i too havent worked out at all since my bunion surgery...its impossible practically

i need suggestions too..getting fat.

I too had a chevron bunionectomy done 7 weeks 4 days ago. Since the took off the bandages at 5 weeks and had me in a post op shoe, my toe slanted back to where it was before surgery. the lump became huge again and is rubing against the shoe. I called the doc to see whats up. He said it was very common because the foot is repositioning it self and the joint became swollen due to new position. so for now i have sterile gauze in between my big and second toe to relieve the pressure off my joint because it hurt a bit. However, when i saw my secondary podiatrist, she was mad because my primary surgeon had not suggested any exercises at week 3.5 when I got stiches out. So now I am trying to do my exercises for the toe 4 times a day. its hard but NSAID's are helping as well as icing for 15 minutes before and after the stretching does help. this friday is week 8. So hopefully I can be full weight bearing again. However, my main concern is shoes because my surgical foot is 33 percent larger than my non surgical foot. and finding appropriate shoes to accomodate this. I could care less about doubling a sock on the good foot. Any suggestions about brands from any one???? I do have a very wide foot so would a mens wide be more accomodating??? or a supportive croc type shoe help??

I'm not sure if anybody is still reading this but I am in the same exact dilemma. Slanted toes but more than anything bumps that still look bunions to me. I really really hope they go away after everything we go through. I am quite upset right now. I actually want to know how you went on. This is to the person I'm replying to because it's been a year for you now. Did it make a difference? I reall hope it did. I know how you must have felt

Please anybody tell me if the bunion bump goes down.

Hi all!  Well I wish I had taken better notes for my first foot. I had my left foot done in April2014. I recall being upset it looked like it still stuck out, but the pain was gone.  i had the boot off at 6weeks it was a slow go and none of my shoes fit so I bought keen sandals summer thank goodness. Went through the summer and hid my foot because it looked the same to me, dr said if would go down. I was due to have second one done in Oct.   well guess what first foot looks and feels prefect!!! And now at 8 weeks I have the same worries with the left foot!!! Hoping and praying! 2nd foot 8 weeks out and still in the boot.  I gained 10 lbs from 1st surgery and a summer I. Europe, I have lost 8lbs since second surgery, I am watching my diet and doing chair exercise dvd's.... 

Hello. I'm not sure if anyone ever replied or if you are still in the same situation, but I am a year out and I still have a bump on my left foot. My doctor says it is not bone but it hurts and becomes very swollen throughout the day. I am planning to get a second opinion. I had a double osteotomy.

Consider swimming and modifying your diet

I have the opposite problem. I bad a bunionectomy on my left foot. My toes never overlapped I just had these huge bumps on both the big toe and little toe. 4 years out, my big toe looks like the leaning tower of Pisa. It leans so far to the right that it looks like I'm trying to thumb a ride. Even with tight socks I still look like I'm missing a toe between my big toe and second toe. Last year I had an ingrown toenail and my oncologist referred me to a podiatrist. Turned out to be the same one who did my bunionectomy. He took one look at my foot , frowned and asked, who did your surgery? I exclaimed, "You did"! After an awkward silence and back peddling he said that (A. I must not have worn my compression sock long enough or (B. I developed a condition where my ligaments hyper extended but that he could PROBABLY fix it. I told he could kiss my foot after he wanted to know why I hadn't returned sooner! I 'd just filled out paperwork telling him that I'm dealing with terminal cancer and that my Oncologist advised against any elective surgeries. I was "jeez, do you pay attention at all"? Now my shoes hurt, even wearing a wide and sandals are definitely out and I never got the other foot done. Anyone else experience "The great divide" between your toes after surgery?

yes 7 weeks ago via keyhole surgery and big toe still leans over the hammer toe. Not good to know that separator does not work

Hi there!
The same problem at 7 weeks I see a huge bump and slanted toe. It is not fixed at all. Did you try splint?