at first my nipples were really tender, but at this point that has mostly gone away and now they're enlarged. they seem like they are erect (a bit pointy and harder than they should be), but the areola is perfectly normal. i should be starting my period soonish, but i lost track of it a bit. went off of birth control (no longer sexualy active) close to a month ago. it's probably nothing and either diet or period related, but never had my nipples react this way. anyone have any idea?

Hi there, my guess is that it's related to going off your birth control. In the next couple months, your body will react to that loss of hormones, which is why your nipples are reacting so crazily. Does that help? DOes that seem plausible?

it does seem plausible as you say, but I've taken a 'break' from the birth control before for two months and it didn't do this.

Well, that was then and this is now. I know that doesn't sound very helpful but do bear in mind that you have different hormone levels from then, not to mention stress levels. If you are concerned (and it sounds like you are) why not give your gyno a ring? I think that's probably a good idea at this point. what do you think?