I am a 19 year old female and for just over a year now I have had on and off UTIs. I've been hospitalized for bladder/kidney infections/pain more times than I can count. I was told I had reflux from my bladder into my kidney so in december 2007 my urologist did a surgery (I don't recall the name) where he injected a solution into the lining of my ureter to prevent reflux. This didn't work and I have continued to have reoccurring UTIs. I then switched to a different urologist and had another surgery July 30th where she re-implanted my ureter (right side only) because she thought it was at an improper angle in the bladder, allowing the urine reflux. It turned out that I have TWO ureters on the right side (haha weird, I know) so she re-implanted both of them at the proper angle. That surgery was nearly 3 months ago and I have had 2-3 more infections which my Dr. and I treated with antibiotics. The strange thing that is troubling me now, is that I keep having UTI symptoms like very painful urination, frequency, even pain in the kidney (right side) after I pee, however my Dr. has sent urine to the lab 3 times now and every time it comes back as no growth-no infection BUT I AM STILL HAVING THESE SYMPTOMS! My Dr. has told me she is at the end of her knowledge and is now referring me to The University of Washington, but I am unable to afford this trip right now. I have applied for medicaid. Anyways, what I want to know is what else could be causing these symptoms to keep occouring? Thank you soo much for any help.
-Kelsie

Celebrity
I cant believe iv finally found someone who is saying the same as my daughter.
We were totally sick of it.
She was in hospital 7 times in 18months. Really bad infections. On drips, All the tests under the sun.

Right i will start at the beginning of our story.
When she was 3 she first became really ill.
Went into hospital an it was found she had a kidney infection.
After tests an sent to a childrens hospital in Liverpool,
They said she had a reflux on the left side.
She was put on antibiotics (half a spoon every night) until she was 5 (trimethoprin)
After that everything was fine. Till she hit 15/16. An it all started again Infection after infection....Sometimes water infection sometimes kidney infection.
Lots of the times No bacterial growth. But so ill in hospital!!!!!!!!
She again had test after test. They now say she has a Duplex kidney.
That is One kidney (left one) is still whole an normal shape, but it is divided into 2 (2 Chambers). Each chamber has a tube coming off it. So she has 2 tubes on her left side.
What they say is. Because your plumbing isnt normal you are prone to get infections.
My daughter is on antibiotics now for the rest of her life to protect her from damaging her kidney. She already has a small amount or scaring on the deformed kidney from an infection
The one thing we think triggered off all this again, is her becoming sexually active.
She still suffers with back pain especially in a morning an sometimes it burns when she goes toilet.
If she has an alcholic drink she suffers too an has to drink lots an lots of water the next day.
But over the last 12 months it seems to be settling down.
She is at the min having Gyni tests as her periods arnt normal now an she produces a lot of discharge. Not sure if its connected.
My daughter an i went through hell when it was really bad. I felt like they didnt believe us because no bacteria was found.
But after reading up lots an lots its quite common to have no growth. They dont tell you that tho do they. Just fob you off.
Are you taking medication?
I guess you know all the things to do to help avoid infection like
Drink lots
Avoid acidy drinks
drink cranberry juice
wipe from front to back
dont wash using any smellies
shower not bath
use the loo before an after sex
wear cotton full pants
no thongs
If you have any questions please ask

Thank you sooo much for this reply! I sympathize for your daughter and yourself. I have been going through this for just over a year and I am so sick of it, its starting to make me depressed. I can't imagine how terrible this must be for you both.

I do have a question though, what kind of test did the doctor do in order to find out about your daughter's "double" kidney? Thank you!

:-( i have the same problem with mt daughter they said she had a reflux at age 4months .she has problems all her life and now age 18 they have told her she has 2 chambers on the right kidney .has she got to suffer for the rest of her life .wot about if in the future she wants children will this affect her does anyone know.

Celebrity
We dont know what the future holds for her. We know she may suffer from high blood pressure during pregnance. she is thinking about it at the minute. Im not sure if this is connected but her hormones are everywhere at the min. her periods are irregular. she has a lot of facial spots ( never had them as a young teenager) an she sweats a lot under the arms. In fact the specialist at the hospital has put her forward for botox. Not what i think a 19 year old should be having. But its really bad an she gets so upset about it.

Kelsie.... The duplex ( Double chambers) was found by a normal scan. She then went to a kidney specialist hospital to have it confirmed. Dye was injected her hand (vein) an it took a few hours to go round the body an then a scan was done again. The dye highlighted the kidney.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone on this one! I have had recurring UTIs since I was 3-4 years old. I remember being in the hospital having a sonogram done on my bladder when I was 4; it was weird and a little scary. However, whatever they did at the time, they got it under control and I was fine after that. I started getting them here and there again around 15-16 years old, and then they disappeared again until I started dating my ex; he was apparently not the single most hygienic person ever and after 2 1/2 years of getting an infection nearly every time we slept together, I found out I was definitely getting them from him. So, he and I were both treated with very strong antibiotics and as long as I was very careful, used the bathroom after having sex, etc, everything was fine. Well, then I still had them periodically, totally unrelated to sex, and that couldn't be figured out. They disappeared for a long time, though, and I even managed to get through two pregnancies without any UTIs! Since my daughter was born 7 months ago, though, I've had symptoms on and off, but every time I'm sent to the lab to check, I test negative. I now can't get antibiotics for the infections, which means I am in pain for awhile- and then the symptoms go away within a day or so- and I'm fine again for awhile. I have no idea what is going on but I am tired of being in pain! This is, again, unrelated to sex.

I've been told I most likely have significant scar tissue in my bladder due to all these infections, but I haven't seen a urologist since I was a little girl and I'm not thrilled about starting now; my mother worked for the only urologist in town for years, and since I know him personally, I don't really want to see him as a patient now.

You may also want to check into the possibility of Interstitial Cystitis. It has all the classic symptoms of UT but with no infection and is actually an inflammation of the lining of the bladder.  I have been diagnosed now for 7 years and all the sudden I am developing kidney infections with no infection present. I am totally stumped by this new problem and figure its related somehow but have no idea how.  In an odd turn of events my sister is now getting them too. Im open to any suggestions. I am so tired of going in circles.

I was diagnosed with duplex kidneys at 18/19 having had a series of water/kidney infections since I was 18 months old. I have a faulty tube that allows reflux, so I always make sure my bladder never gets to the point where I'm 'dying' for a pee. I was put on a low dose maintenance antibiotic and stayed on this for 3 years, my doctor said if I had any more scarring on the left side he would have to have considered removing it. Luckily after the 3 years, when I was around 22/23 I came off the antibiotics and I havent had a kidney infection since. I'm now 41. I find I suffer from water retention and I get achy if I have too many carbs, but other than this I don't have any ongoing issues. I can't predict the future, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. We are apparently 1 in a million. Worryingly, my younger daughter is getting re-curring water infection symptoms with no infection on testing, so now neef to get this looked into further.

Hi Kelsie, I am not sure why your doctor doesn't know about this but it seems to me you have a lot of symptoms of Interstitial cystitis. I myself was recently diagnosed. One of the most common things is UTI symptoms with no bacterial infection. It is common in women who have ahs recurrent UTI's as well as surgeries down there.