Hi, I don’t know what to do. I often have nightmares and act violent when I wake up. I am not aware of my actions in the first couple of minutes, and I’m afraid I could hurt someone. What should I do?

Hi, my husband has the same problem as you. He has vivid dreams, and sometimes he can’t make a difference between a dream and reality. Sometimes, when he has nightmares, he yells and screams, but I can’t wake him up because he can become violent. He isn’t aware of that, and he doesn’t do it on purpose. He is violent when woken because of his vivid dreams, and I can’t blame him for that. Your family probably already knows about your problem, but if it happens that you sleep somewhere else, you should warn those people not to wake you up. You should seek for help before you hurt somebody. My husband is considering a therapy, and maybe you should do that too.