Help me guys! My husband, he is 37 years old and he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He was diagnosed with it before we met and I knew it when we started to date. We were dating for 4 years and than we got married. But after those 4 years it seems to me that his disorder was getting worse, even if he is going to psychotherapies. And I was right, he is really getting worse. Anyway, he has night terrors and I don't know what to do. I am scared as well, I am scared for both of us.

How can I help him? 

Wait, wait. Does he hits you while he has those attacks? I know that this is very private thing, but there is a big chance that this happens and that means that situation is really serious.

Night terrors in bipolar persons are also known as nightmares and they are very intense and can recurrently occur. 

This requires serious treatment and help from an expert. There are some ways to treat it, but usually doctors will prescribe medications to deal with it. 

But I will gave you one advice - when you see that your husband is normal, you really should try to talk to him and suggest him to make scheduled awakenings. If you don't know how to do it, just tell me and I will try to explain to you. 

He should seek professional help but you already said that he is undergoing psychotherapy? If that is true, then the next time he goes to talk to his psychologist he should tell him about his night terrors. I am not sure how is this supposed to be treated but his psychologist will know for sure. Maybe you can talk to Stressed and Depressed, he seems to know a bit about this so I assume that he might be able to help you out. I mean, any info that you can get now about the treatment of this matter would be useful.

It is unlikely that he is going to be hitting her while having nightmares, that is hard to happen, I guess that he just might be yelling, screaming, and sweating, well, we all know how nightmares look like, there is probably not a single person in the world who didn't have a nightmare at some point of their lives.

You alone cannot help him in any way, he might want to talk to a doctor in order to get some prescription medications and he will probably be redirected to a psychologist by his doctor. He will get better, don't you worry about it.

Deni is right, he should talk to his doctor because there are some medications which might help him get rid of these nightmares. I know that I had nightmares when I was just a kid, about 11 years old, and I had them every single night, same nightmares. I told that to my mom, she took me to talk to my doctor and he gave me some pills to take every night before I go to sleep. After I started using these pills I didn't have a single nightmare, this is why your husband should really go and talk to his doctor.

Hi everyone. Stressed and depressed, yes. You are so right. He hits me very often when he has those attacks but I can't blame him right? He is not aware of it and the next day I can see how sad he is about this whole issue. Sometimes he wants to go to therapies, sometimes he refuses it and one day I was with him while he had his therapy. He never told that he is dealing with night terrors and when I tried to say this to doctor, my husband looked at me and I didn't say a thing. When he went out he told me that I should never say anything about this because this is something that is his and that it is not that important. But I believe that it is :/ Actually, I am sure.

Well, that is very dangerous - for you and for him. That is literally terror, not just for him but for you as well. He needs doctor's help immediately. I don't know how you will convince him to find a help, but you need to do something about it before it goes too far. 

My good friend had those night terrors, but they never were like in your husband's case. He was sensible, he was crying.  While he had those attacks, his wife was there with him and of course those crying moments wake her up always.

But he could cope with it. Your husband needs help.