my husband is a great person and great father. We have 2 children 1 and 4 and he works a job in construction. He is one of the most generous, friendliest people you will ever meet. 

But he has a very dark side to him. When we argue his temper is out of control! He becomes violent and screams at me. He breaks things and hurts me. He has only struck me once, but will usually resort to everything but striking. For example he has head but me, thrown me down to the ground, dragged me by my hair, slam my head into the walls, choked me, thrown me against walls, thrown objects at me, and leaves me physically hurt every time. 

Heres the kicker, he always regrets it and says sorry and it happens once in a blue moon. This isn't an everyday thing. So my question is should I be worried? I'm not scared of him, only when he's at that boiling point do I get nervous. Is this abuse? I really do love this man and he always means well, it's his temper that I just can't take anymore. He always says that it's me provoking him and making him hit me, but honestly I don't do any such thing. We are arguing and just like him, I'm trying to get my point across too but he takes that as me provoking it. I'm just so exhausted I don't know what to do. And I don't want my children thinking this behavior is normal. 

Hi Guest,

He has a problem.  Do you think he would attend anger management classes?  Would you be willing to ask him that or are you afraid of the outcome?

Are drugs/alcohol part of this?

You do need to be worried.  His saying that you are "provoking" him is an indication that he doesn't accept responsibility for his actions and instead blames others.

If he won't seek help OR if you are afraid to ask him then take the children and get out.  Stay someplace safe.  Demand that he seek help before your OR YOUR CHILDREN get hurt.

Good luck.

I will ask him today if he will take the classes, but I doubt it's something he will commit to. Your right when you say he doesn't accept responsibility for his actions. I think that he is in denial that he is actually hurting me, or feels its not a big deal because according to him hes not necessarily "striking me." Due to this behavior becoming fairly new, I would say the last 2 years out of 5 that he is reluctant to admit to his own self what is happening. He believes hes a good person, which he is, but battles with himself over this temper and behavior hes experiencing. I think that's where the problem lies, trying to get him to understand that he DOES have a problem and that's where I'm stuck.

Activist
Yes Mandy you need to worry and take action right now medic Dan is 100% right this behavior of ur husband can spoil ur as well as ur kids life

So.. It's gotten worse. So much worse I rather not go into detail. My question is, if I want to leave but have no money or resources what help is out there?