I have been on Methadone maintence for 8 months now. Long story short they switched me from Perkiset to Methodone at 37 weeks pregnant. My normal weight is 130 pounds. When I delivered my baby ON MY DUE DATE I weighed 170 pounds. About 2 weeks later I went down to 135 (not so bad!) Well, over time I kept gaining and gaining! I am now a hefty 176 pounds!! I have NO IDEA how I got this big! I weigh more now than I did when I was 9 month pregnant! This is ridiculous! I dont eat anything unhealthy.. I excerise (not daily but at least 1 hour twice a week!) I have tried EVERYTHING! diet pillls, not eating... I started exerisizing 4 times a week for 2 hours a day and only eating 2 salads a day for 6 weeks... i only lost 6 pounds! A few people mentioned the methadone.. well I asked my doctor and he swears it cant be that! i know its that! I KNOW MY BODY! I am fed up! I wanna b put on something else! someone mentioned Suboxene?? Does that make you gain weight?? Can someone please help before I lose my husband and my happiness? I wont even leave the house because of this!

Methadone is a much safer alternative to Percocet because it doesn't contain Tylenol (acetaminophen) which is very harmful to the liver when taken on a chronic basis. As for the weight gain I'm not sure what to say. I wouldn't advise going back to Percocet.

I gained 75 lbs on Methadone in 2005. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid and blamed the weight gain on that. I just realized a couple of weeks ago that it was the Methadone. I saw my pain doctor today and he didn't believe either that it was the Methadone. I said the same thing to myself - I know it's that because it's my body and I know what made me gain weight. I was on Suboxone from 2002-2005 - moved across the country and they weren't prescribing it for pain management then. And, I just found out that this year the DEA said that Suboxone can no longer be prescribed for chronic pain managment - only for people that are detoxing. Why they would take something that helps SO MUCH with pain is beyond me. My doctor told me that the only other things he would prescribe would be long acting or short acting morphine or hydrocodone. BUT he said he would start them in very small quantities. That means I have to go through withdrawal and I've been through withdrawal from methadone and it was the worst experience I've ever had in my life.