My friend is on dialysis and is waiting for a kidney. He was just informed by a hospital staff that unless he weighs 250 lb. he will wait forever. My friend is overweight however, he is also very large frame with a very large rib cage and very muscled legs and arms. They did not take that into consideration. Is this the norm?

I don't know of a specific weight limit, but I do know transplant surgeons prefer to work on thinner people because there are fewer complications and the surgery is easier on them.

This weight limit may be imposed by the specific doctor or his practice group. If you live in a litigation-friendly state like Florida, he's protecting himself.

If your friend is in good physical shape (meaning without an abundance of blubber) he should meet with the surgeon (or whichever doc) for a one-on-one.