Hello everyone,

I used to be quite a good runner actually but once I started getting all depressed, I completely stopped doing any exercise. It has been a year since the last time I did anything when it comes to exercising and I heard somewhere that you can actually workout in order to fight your depression.

First of all, do you think that this is true? Secondly, if it is, can anyone tell me about some good workout plans for fighting depression? I am guessing that there are some special workout plans designed to help those who are struggling with depression.

Running. Running is an excellent antidepressant, it makes you feel calm and relaxed, plus it is great for your body. It works great for both your body and your mind. You know how they say, in healthy body there's a healthy spirit.

You can always try going to the gym but I don't like going to the gym, if you want me to be honest. I'd rather go running through the woods, do yoga there and meditate. All of these things are great for your body and even greater for your mind, I would recommend you to do the same as I do.

Deni is right about everything, these are just the things that helped me overcome my depression. I first started running, every day, until I was able to run for 5 miles a day. The I started doing yoga, and then I started meditating. I was already doing just fine when I started meditating. By the time I had been meditating for about a month, I think that I had completely gotten over depression. There you go, you have a first hand experience right here. All you have to do is start, that is the hardest part, it took me a while to start, if you want me to be honest.

Okay, I see your point here. So I don't really need a special workout plan in order to fight my depression.

I miss running, I really do. I hope that I can become what I used to be, I hope I can be the person that I used to like, my old self. I like nature as well, just thinking about running through the woods makes me feel good. I am going to give it a try and do the things that you mentioned, running, yoga, and meditating. I always wanted to try meditation actually.

Hopefully I will get better soon.

Yes, you don't need a special workout plan.

Just start. But the start isn't the hardest part actually, the hardest part is enduring once you start. A lot of people give up after a couple of days, don't be one of these people. It is always easier if you have someone to exercise with, a friend or a partner, or anyone, it doesn't matter, it is always good to have company.

Yoga and meditation can do you good, that's for sure. At least these things are easy when it comes to your physical condition, however, you need a good mental condition for this.

Hello there. Weight training is definitely the best cure for the depression, it is your friend who is going to help you fight the depression. I am a male and I never wanted to confess to my friends and my family that I am having some depression issues. But I did have it. I decide to fight it alone, maybe it was not the best decision, but I did it and I decide to go to the gym, to lift weights to see how this can save me. And it saved me! I focused on my body, I made a plan that until the summer I need to be extremely good looking and I accepted this challenge. That was my cure and I would recommend weight lifting - my saver!

I am not that extreme in my workout as the Guest who was writing about lifting weight lol,but I can confess as well that workout routine was something that helped me fight my depression and I am fighting it so far very successfully. 

But I do aerobic. It is an amazing for me because it helps me reduce the stress and I feel much better, physically and I think that I love my body everyday after I finish with aerobics. Not just aerobic, long walks deep into woods are also so relaxing for me and I just love this as well.  

Every single exercise can help you fight the depression and there is so many exercises that can help you and that you can find any exercise that fits you. For example, you can always try:
- dancing,
- biking,
- walking,
- jogging,
- playing tennis,
- yoga,
- meditation, etc.

I can tell you that I am a little bit against those hard workouts such as lifting weight or some hard cross fit training because I think that to fight depression you really need some light variant of exercising programs. So whatever you choose from those that I wrote you won't make a mistake. Personally, I love to ride a bike and do yoga, I feel amazing after this.

Maybe lifting weight is not that good as you told us, but I found my peace in that. Maybe it is all about motivation but when I decided to do it and I consider that this is beneficial as well. Someone might not like my way of life and my way to fight the depression, but the most important thing is that this way of life really helped me. I was fighting with really huge depression, because when my gf dumped me I started to eat a lot and I gained weight. That caused the depression in my case and I needed to change something. And I did it and I am happy with it :)

Everyone has its own way to fight depression and I am glad to hear that someone is fighting it very successfully. But generally, joining any kind of a group exercise class may be beneficial to everyone who is struggling with depression. Exercising with someone can be beneficial because you can exercise with a close friend or your partner. In doing so, you will benefit from the physical activity and emotional comfort, knowing that others are supportive of you. I would also recommend yoga classes but anyway, you should always consult your doctor before you start with any kind of exercise. GL