I have been running for a couple of years. I like it and plan to keep doing it. I run 3-4 times a week some 3 miles. I have been thinking about running longer distances. I wonder what the effects of a long run on my body are. Should I stick to my old routine or try longer races?

Before you take a plunge let me explain a few things. For simplicity sake, lets say that there are 2 different types of muscle fiber. Slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fiber. They serve to the different purposes. Slow twitch fibers are predominantly made for a light, prolonged and continuous work. Running long distances is such a sport. On the other hand, fast twitch muscle fiber can generate enormous power for a short period of time. Bodybuilders, weight lifters, sprinters and many other athletes rely on fast twitch fibers. So, if you want to develop slow twitch fibers and endurance you should go for a long race. On the other hand if you want speed, power, agility, you can consider sprints. You are currently somewhere in between. It is a complex matter and requires much more space than we have here so we will discuss this in detail some other time.