I am 25 year-old male and I have been running for over a year now. The reason I decided to taek up this sport is in order to build muscles and burn little weight. I have managed to get rid of the extra weight but nothing much is happening with my muscles. I don’t have any professional help around me, as I run on my own. Some time ago I read that sprints help build muscles. How much truth is there in this statement?

What you read is true concerning leg muscles. Sprinting recruits fast-twitch muscle fibers; slower running does not. You could include a day or two of sprint training each week. This is how you should do it: sprint a hundred yards as fast as you can, then leisurely jog the rest of the lap. Work up to sprinting half a lap, then jogging for the rest. Do this three to five times, focusing more on the intensity of your sprints than on the overall duration of your training. However, sprinting is difficult and can be uncomfortable as you push your heart rate close to its maximum. But, if you have been running for over a year now, you should have gained some strength. If you start to feel dizzy, just stop. Enjoy!!!!