I keep hearing about cadence. I do not know what it is and why people consider it so important. You get on the bike you start spinning the wheels and you do it as fast as you can. I do not believe in that high tech scientific approach to cycling. Good old training is all you need. Am I wrong?

Cadence is simply a number of repetitions per minute. It means how many times you will spin in one minute. It does make a difference when it comes to climbing hills. You can choose low cadence and push harder and thus recruit you power muscle fibers. On the other hand, you can decide to ride at high cadence and exhaust your slow twitch muscle fibers that are designed to endure long work. Thus, you will save your fast twitch fibers for the finish where you may need all the power you can get to generate the maximum speed.