Hello, I am a guy who is 23 years old. I know that running on short distance gives you more speed. I am wondering what you get by long distance running. That should give you endurance in running, or am I wrong? Could you tell me more about this? Is there anything else?

Hi there. You got it right. When you are running on great distances, you improve your physical endurance(in running).Apart from that if you manage to run a marathon, for example, you might get mental strength because while running at such great distances as marathon there is always a time, around 30-35 km, where a competitor want to give up. You might call that point a breaking point. If you manage to hang on and finish a race it means that you are stronger mentally.

Running long distances what never my thing. I like to run few miles and that’s it. However when I see people running marathons like it’s not a big deal I envy them. I don’t have the endurance that it takes to run a marathon. That being said, I know that short running will not give you endurance in the body. And after a while you will lose your strength. So it all depends what you wish to achieve with this. If it is endurance in your mind, I go for the slower and longer runs. How long are you running now? In your age you should have enough strength to achieve anything you set your mind to, so I advise you to go for it.

Changes in your body are both physical and mental. Physical mostly are - fat loss & getting leaner - meaning your body starts to exchange excess fat for muscle gain (up to a point since long distance runners always have low body fat but are not bulky with muscles - both fat and muscles weigh a lot and you have to carry them while running:):)), joints get stronger and better prepared to carry your weight for extended period of time without injury, also your core strength gets much better and your body learns balance - you are able to easily cover different kinds of terrains (uphills, downhills, jumping over obstacles on the way etc.) for a long time on end. Mental? What can I say - first of all you learn self-discipline, you discover your mental strengths and weaknesses, you simply learn yourself, what's in your head, you learn how to not quit!!!! You discover that your head is your first and most important tool in success in this sport. If your head gets to do something the body will follow, no matter your physical state. You also learn to train smart - so that you achieve your aim without getting injured