Apprentice

Hey guys. I would like to ask you if you can tell me more about hemoglobin and something about it. I would also like to know which diseases could be caused by hemoglobin when it's not in normal limits? I have heard that there are numerous conditions which could or could not occur when having high or elevated hemoglobin, so if you could tell me more about it, that would be great because my father seems to be suffering from high hemoglobin and I just want to know which are the conditions that he might be facing. thanks in advance

Hey Michael1994. It is quite a question you got here and I can tell you that high hemoglobin  is not an uncommon disease, or conditon, because it isn't too dangerous. There are more of a symptom than a disease, so it can be just an indicator that there is something wrong with your father in terms of health. There are plenty reasons why his hemoglobin could have risen and they can be just some normal circumstances such as lack of water, and by that I mean dehydration. Also, if your father has been somewhere high, mountain for example, that could explain it too.

It is true that there are numerous and various circumstances which can cause high hemoglobin. I recently read somewhere that your hemoglobin level can rise up during the winter, for about 0.5 g/dl and that is very awkward. The peak of your hemoglobin is supposed to be reached in December. Also, what is really strange is that your hemoglobin variates between day and night but that is only important to people with sickle cell disease and I don't know if your father belongs to that group. Athletes tend to have high hemoglobin because bodybuilders especially get on the edge with dehydration.

I can agree on this one that high hemoglobin can only indicate on potential condition, but I don't think that high hemoglobin itself could be an illness. Sure, it is not recommended but I don't know what it means and what should you do in such terms so what I would like you to do right now is to take your dad and go to doctor's office and he will certainly know what is the deal, what is causing his hemoglobin to elevate and will apply some kind of treatment, I guess so you could prevent it from escalating into a condition.

Hey guys. Well, I have some news that you might not want to hear. 

High hemoglobin can be a pointer in a very bad direction because it can mean that there is something wrong with your father's kidneys and it could indicate that he has a kidney cancer. Also, it could mean that your father has aplastic anemia, and that means that his bone marrow cannot produce enough red blood cells. Sickle cell disease is also an option and that is a hereditary condition so that's really bad. You should take your father and get him to a doctor as soon as possible.

Hey everyone. I have also heard that high hemoglobin could cause a liver cancer. That happens because liver cancer is blocking liver's ability to transform hemoglobin into bilirubin, As a consequence of that, hemoglobin stays in your blood and that causes high hemoglobin. Also, there is a condition called polycythemia, I think, and what happens there is that you start to overproduce red blood cells. Equally to overproducing red blood cells, hemoglobin starts to overproduce too. This also leads to high hemoglobin. So, there are many conditions which all require hemoglobin to elevate. Let us know what you did and keep us posted.

Guys, you have also forgotten to mention a condition called COPD, which is one among others chronic lung diseases. This condition makes up for the lack of oxygen by producing more hemoglobin than an organism needs so it consumes hemoglobin instead of oxygen. these are pretty dangerous diseases and you shouldn't mess with this. Many conditions could start just as high hemoglobin, and then expand and grow to be something as dangerous as this. It is advisable to visit a doctor about this, someone who is an expert in these terms so he would be able to see what's wrong.

In my non professional opinion, you should see an expert about this condition because that is the best way to get rid of this issue. It can lead to something very dangerous. Why should you visit your doctor, but I think that this is a job for hematologist, a doctor specialized in blood and blood disorders. With your doctor, you should be able to determine the condition if there is any. He would be able to establish a diagnose based on your father's test results and let you know what is wrong and how to solve it. With a determined diagnose, your dad will know what to do.

I totally agree on this one and you should really get your father to a hematologist as soon as possible. The range of diseases which high hemoglobin could indicate to is very wide and that is why we can't really know what is going on with him, we can just speculate. By taking him to a hematologist, you will get the results in quite a short time. Hence, you should know what to do. 

High hemoglobin can be associated with diabetes and I think, the bad news is that it's diabetes type one. I hope it is nothing serious. Keep in touch

Yes, you are right. 

High hemoglobin might lead to diabetes type 1 and could also lead to kidney failure, or sort of a stress in kidneys. Also, there is a condition in which you have a free hemoglobin in your lungs. That is the hemoglobin which isn't bound to your blood and can cause quite a damage. That condition is called pulmonary hypertension. So, you should watch out for lung diseases too. Did your father have any lung issues or heavy breathing, lack of breath or something like that? That would also be an indicator that there's some lung disease.