Hi everyone. So, I had a huge discussion with my friend Michael a couple of days ago. One night he got really drunk. It was his birthday party, but generally it was a date when he hooked up with his ex - girlfriend. I hope that you understand that she is the ex and that he is still suffering because she left him. That happened a year and a half ago and since that day, he is really depressed. When I tried to talk to him, he told me that I should shut up because I don't know how he feels. Maybe...What does it feel like for someone with depression to be drunk?

I felt horribly, to be honest. I was suffering from depression for one whole year and I got totally drunk two times during this period. I had my cousin with me on both of these occasions and I talked to him about suicide. I wanted to die, the first time I was talking about jumping of a bridge, and the second time I wanted to swallow sleeping pills. I never really tried doing any of these, I just talked to him how I wanted to do it. Alcohol just made my condition even worse, so I did it only twice during this period.

When I was depressed, my boyfriend dumped me. I felt horrible. So one day, when I came to the senses, a little bit of course, I went out with my friends and we were at some crazy party, so I was drinking. A lot, to be honest with you. I was drunk that night and I just can't describe you how I felt. I felt like I am even more depressed than ever. I didn't know what to do. Tnx God, my good friend was there so she supported me, she was with me until next day. But it is really horrible. 

I am suffering from the depression as well, but to be honest I never had some desire to drink alcohol at all. So I really don't know how is it like to be drunk when you are depressed and based on what you wrote down there, I really don't want to feel this as well. 

I can only tell you that the next day he was in really bad condition and he hated whole world. I think that I can understand him. So tell me, what is the cure when you are drunk and depressed? What to do? Tnx  a lot. 

Awful! Really, really awful I can tell. 

Of course, it all depends on the amount of alcohol that you have been drinking. Depending on your amount, your specific state of depression and personality, your behavior can go down very quickly.Then you're left with even less of your normal defenses and controls. You experience the worthlessness, you are feeling awful and you don't have a power to do anything in your life. That is really bad. 

But I have one friend who told me that alcohol is the only thing that can help him deal with depression. OK, maybe it can help you one day, but what about next days? 

Alcohol is a dangerous path to take when you suffering from depression. A lot of people turn to alcohol when they are suffering from depression and big number of these feel relieved and they think that alcohol helps them feel better and less depressed. The problem with this is that they get addicted to alcohol and they usually become alcoholics. You see, alcohol is not a matter of choice for them anymore, it is a need that needs to be done. 

So basically, alcohol does good to people who are suffering from depression but it has more bad long term effects than good ones.

Yes, I have to agree with you totally. It is very dangerous and I do know a lot of people who were dealing with depression and because of it, because they were not able to fight it, they started to drink alcohol. And generally, alcohol is your huge enemy even when you are not depressed, when you are just sad or something like this.
But when you are depressed, effect is even worse than you can imagine. So my advice is to avoid alcohol generally but especially you should avoid it when you are depressed. You really need to be strong and fight against it. Good luck.

Drinking from time to time is okay I guess, for everybody. But if your friend is depressed, you need to keep an eye on him when he gets drunk. When a depressed person becomes drunk, it often leads to that person becoming suicidal. So you really need to take extra care of him then, I wouldn't let him out of my sight if I were you.

Yes, it does help some people, or at least they think it helps. I rather think that that is only an illusion but who am I to say that, I have never suffered from depression.

It doesn't work that way with everyone, Guest. Some people actually find comfort in alcohol and they feel okay while they are under the effect of alcohol. But it's not good either way because people who find comfort in alcohol don't want to live in the real world anymore and they prefer to be drunk 24/7. They end up as alcoholics and their depression comes back even when they are drunk so it basically does them no good anyway.

It might feel good at the beginning but it can only do you wrong, so if I were you (or your friend), I would stay away from alcohol.