Hi, a younger man has tried to commit suicide in my neighborhood. Fortunately, he has failed. The "interesting" thing is that was not his first attempt to commit suicide. Apparently, a girlfriend left him and because of that he is depressed. Can you tell me something more about this topic, for example is there a way of knowing who might be suicidal?

Hi, it is awful to hear about these stories. It has always troubled me to learn that a person, especially if a person is a young one, is being suicidal. There are some things that can show if someone is suicidal or is attempting to commit such a thing in a near future. Studies have shown that people that are suicidal have shown signs of deep despair prior to the act of suicide. I also found out that people believe that being suicidal automatically means that a person is psychotic or delusional about reality. This is very untrue since most of the people that attempt suicides have no history of these kinds of conditions. If someone is thought to be suicidal, it is crucial that an immediate attention is provided. It is also important to take such a person to a professional therapist so that the reasons for trying to commit suicide would be erased.

I don't believe there is anyway to know the person is suicidal because they can hide it good or when they want to end their live they just do it without showing signs of being suicidal.
I have tried to committ suicide when i was 10 yrs old cause i found out that my first step father wasnt my real father and my real father was killed. I didn't show any signs because i took off from school after my mom told me that my father was killed and poured gas and other flammable stuff over me but my mom grabbed the matches out of my hand before i could light it. I have tried it over 100 times already got some scars to prove it. Been in the mental ward couple of times the first time i went there is when I drank some mixed cleaners at an friends house, didn't show any signs of it just went and did it. My wife is scared that she might come home from somewhere and see me dead cause the urges is there.
The best advice for ya to do is to go to the mental hospital or some where so ya can talk to the people that has tried to committ suicide so you can learn from them so you can get an good idea to look for when someone is in need of help. Oh yeah shrinks help only an little to ease the urge of being suicidal.

Yes, I agree there can be no symptoms. Often if someone is depressed there are, but not always. There are lots of reasons for being suicidal like short term dispair (related to loss of something/someone) that can lead to post-partum depression. Other types of depression are more obvious. Bipolar disorder is fairly obvious, but depends on the individual. Bipolar disorder often goes untreated and diagnosed because when you're around people with this disorder, you're more likely to be overly energetic and happy (euphoria). And when something terrible happens (or sometimes something very sutble, like an unkind word) can bring the person into a very rapid decline in mood (dysphoria).
Clinical (or Major) depression are usually obvious cases, and usually take a long time to develop. Usually this type of depression comes from a long history of misfortune and very analytical thinking. It's interesting to note that more intelligent individuals are prone to this type of depression because they are far more analytical in the way they think, and can easily convince themselves (and others) that things are bad and not getting better. I've suffered from Major depression in my past, and it's not something that really goes away. You always get drawn into thinking negative things will continue to happen to you. And the better you are at connecting those negative events and focusing on them, the more likely you are to attempt suicide.
For me, almost dying once really re-aligned my perseption of life. I realised I didn't want to die and I valued life. Attempting suicide is different then this, though. A true Near Death Experience (NDE) is best achieved by accident. And no one should ever attempt to walk the bridge of life and death, hoping to love life once they return.. Dying is never the answer, and everyone consciously or subconsciously knows this fact.
The only suggestion I have for those suspecting a friend is suicidal is to try to get them out doing things with you a lot. And refrain from drug abuse. Abusing drugs masks symptoms very well (even smoking marijuana frequently). I did this. It's easy to say "I just zoned out" or "I'm just burning out" when you're really in deep depression and thinking negative thoughts. A drink here and there might help after a tromatic experience or event, but don't let that go too far, because even a drink or two will let all the demons out. And you don't want to let your friend get too negative while they're drunk. Just have a drink so they feel comfortable letting out what you know they must.
Also, don't ignor someone that seems sad (especially when it's frequent). I always try to cheer people up, even if I have to get in their face about it to start with. If you know the person, it is your business to help and know what's wrong. Nothing could be worse than not saying anything to a sad friend and then hearing that they've done something aweful soon after.
I think about suicide almost everyday still. But I try to think of all the things that I'm lucky to have in my life and all the pain not having me around would cause. The best thing is to try to help people you think are going through the same thing. It's the only way to feel you have true purpose, if nothing else seems to work.

Peace.