Hi all, how you doing?

I'm hoping you can help me out here. Im wondering if seborrheic dermatitis can cause hair loss? I ask because I think suffer from scalp seborrheic dermatitis, I get an oilly scalp & forehead, I only really get it along the front at the hair line but it can get really oilly and my hair at the front is all patchy as hair falls out here really easily when its bad :-(

I have been to see the doctor about this many times but he always says not to worry about it (yea right dont worry, my hairs falling out :'( thanks doc 8-| ). I have tried using selsun blue shampoo, Nizirol shampoo etc which seem to help with the oillyness but after a few uses it makes my hair fall out, so I stop, I've never really either of the shampoos for more than a week.

So what Im asking is can seborrheic dermatitis cause hair loss? And should I continue to use the selsun / nizirol shampoo dispite it causing a bit more hair loss? Im thinking maybe it needs to get worse before it gets better,

Many Thanks, Stuart :-)

Hey,

Yes, it's entirely possible. In fact, it's one of the more common types of hair loss and it usually completely non-scarring (it'll grow back). It can cause hair loss in two ways. Firstly, it can come out attached to the oily flakes/clumps which is SD, so it's a kind of traction alopecia (commonly known as the hair loss which occurs with tight hairstyles). Secondly, it may clog up the follicles, leading to minituarisation, where the new hair is weak and unpigmented (this is also often non scarring- what you need to do is declog the follicles, making room for strong, thick hair shafts). Usually, in things like telogen effluvium, minituarisation is often a good thing because it signals the end of the hair loss phase. With things like SD, you have to do something about it yourself.
When I was 16 my hair started falling out like crazy. I was really stressed in school and a couple of years ago, I'd noticed this itching on my scalp which I couldn't get rid of. When I shampooed my hair, my hairline would be bright red and irritated, and probably most of my scalp too. I didn't think much of it until the hair loss struck! I tried only washing my hair once a week (v. bad, but I didn't know it was dermatitis!), thought it was TE or hypothyroidism, etc etc. Really happy when the dermatologist said I had SD, but then read all sorts of horror stories on the internet about it. But actually, although it's still falling out a little bit, there's been such a massive improvement. I could have made another jumper by collecting all the hair on the back of my jumper last year, now it's just a couple of hairs. Luckily I always had really thick hair so it's just about all right now, but like you, the hairline thing is annoying :-( I don't think it's receding, but it's definately patchy and just generally thin there. I'm afraid of rubbing the shampoo in because I don't want to pull out more hair, haha.

It's important to use a rotation of shampoos to keep the SD on its toes. Often if you've let it build up without realising, it'll take some time to subside. Don't worry if you use the shampoo a lot and it takes a while for it to stop falling so much or if it builds up again the next day. Just keeping doing it, keep rotating, check shampoo ingredients (best not to let things like tresemme, l'oreal, heads and shoulders touch your scalp) and in time you'll see an improvement. The best shampoos I've used are Nizoral (haven't tried its weaker companion, Nizorelle, yet), Dermactive, T-gel and Coal tar. To make the hair loss less obvious, you can do a henna or cassia obovata treatment, to make the hair look thicker and last longer. However- do wash your hair every two days. If you let it all build up again doing two shampoos a week, it won't take good effects and it'll just make your scalp immune to it.

Another way is to massage and rub your scalp with your fingertips, to loosen the flakes from your hair before shampooing. Also, try tackling the root of the problem- identify things which cause flare ups. It might just be stress, or it could be a mild dairy intolerance, too many sweets, not enough water etc etc. For example, try cutting out dairy for a fortnight or a month and then observing the effects. If there's no change, reintroduce the dairy and cut out sweets, observe, repeat, etc etc. If there is a change, then you know what to do! You could also try oil pulling.

Try magnesium chloride and massage into scalp.

stick with the selsun blue.. the red label one not the yellow label one... the red label is specifically for seborrheic dermatitis i use selsun blue and it makes my scalp feel super clean and my hair really thick

the loss of hair you experience while using the shampoo is most likely a shedding phase of the miniaturized hairs so that new thick hair can take its place, dont stop using the shampoo because it is most likely a sign that it is working

heya i ave da same prob!! evn i didnt find a solution! its like flakes all ova da scalp... mah hair goes oilly afta 2days of shampooing the hair...and evn i feel dat mah forehead goes oilly an di get pimpless...i recently got a solution for dis prob is a shampoo named Neutrogena T/Sal therapatic shampoo.. try out dis...guess we get a good result!! all da bestt

Do not continue to use the dandruff shampoo because they dry out the hair. Your dermatologist should prescribe you shampoo like ketoconazole shampoo. Follow the directions on the bottle. Use it twice a week.

is the hair loss permanent or temporary?

Hello ,

Nice reply...i am suffering from the same problem.and tried all possible shampoos and doctors but no luck

Hi there, well I know this post dates from over a year ago but just in case you are still struggeling with your problem I would recommend natural remedies.
I have had SD for up to years now and constantly went to te doctor because I used the same products as everyone ( coal tar, nizoral) and yes it does help but the hair gets extremely dry and my scalp would feel as scorched, bright red on the hair line and also on my forehead. I was concerned by my hair loss but my doctor did not seem very worried . Until a year ago when because of stress SB symptoms increased and I was losing handfulls of hair. and since then my hair has lost a lot of density until one day i tried a natural remedy. SB is associated with yeast on your scalp so you have to kill it. What I do ( and many others) is mixing in a 1:3 ratio of organic apple cider vinegar(ACV) ( found in any organic store) with dionized water ( found in any drugstore) with just a few drop of tea tree oil. This oil kills bacteria, fungus and limits oil production and acv also kills bacteria so it will control the symptomes of the SB . You fill up an old and empty eyedrop medecine container with the ACV-water and a few drops of the oil ( I put 6 for every 10 ml). You can add a few drops of lavender oil if you are put off by the vinegar smell but do not worry the smell goes away. I do this every night , 10ml all over my scalp thanks to the eyedrop container and my hair loss has decreased considerably as well as the dandruff. Such an easy and cheap solution with no seconday effects. After shedding so much during 10 years i have finally found a way and i recommend totry it to anyone out there.

Sounds good. How about the smell - dosent bother you at all? Do you wash your Hair the next morning after the application?

Hello all,

I know this is a very old thread, but have come across this website as I recently discovered that I have SD and hair loss. I came across this remedy by this individual who has seem to do quite a bit of research on the topic and has offered a lot of great tips in helping with not only improving symptoms associated with SD but configuring the root cause. It's essentially doing a sea salt/purified water soak on your scalp or any other area on your body where SD arises and using no products that contain oils or moisturizers. I was so fascinated by this guy's remedy that I went forth and have been doing it for the last four days. Have personally noticed decreased itchiness and appearance of dandruff. I think it will take some time to have accurate results, but I hope this helps someone who's suffering from an awful condition. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi, just in case you read this, do you wash your hair with shampoo after that, or? Do you shampoo your hair at all?

Try Dermatologic Cosmetic Labs, T Shampoo. Its effective

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS !