Hi, I am 28 and have had a problem with dnadruff since I was a kid. however lately in the last years or so, it's become thick. So thick that I basically have to pick it up or dig it up to even break it away from my scalp. I can wash my hair, do a treatment and grease my scalp and in 1 day it seems to start all over again. I've been to the dermatologist and was perscribed this VERY EXPENSIVE shampoo but it doesn't really work. Please help!

It might be scalp eczema or psoriasis. Neither of which has a cure but can be treated with dermatologist's prescriptions. It shouldn't be expensive because the ingredients for the prescriptions are not rare or expensive. Maybe you should go to a different dermatologist?

Do note that while there are treatments available there is no cure for this. It would be best to not scratch it too much. I have it too.

I have come to notice that with seasonal changes, as does the same with our scalps and skin. One factor to put in play is hydration of your body as well as diet. All of these components have an adverse affect on our body skin and scalp. There are also over the counter shampoos that may work better than what is being prescribed. Also I have come to know that massaging the scalp with your finger tips, releases natural oils stored in the scalp, and significantly reduced the dry scalp problem. ;-)

to the person with thick dandruff: it may be psoriasis, but in case it's not--just regular dandruff--dit down in a chair after you lay some newspapers all around the floor near the chair. Lean forward, take your comb and comb through your scalp letting the comb touch your scalp all the way through it. Try to comb as much of the crud out of your scalp as you possibly can, as close to 100% as possible, over all sides of your head--front, back, right side, and left side. Then go jump in the shower, and wash your hair with H & S or Nizoral or whatever; rinse thoroughly, then soap it again, and rinse thoroughly the second time. Towel dry, then spray all over your head with plain gold colored Listerine, saturating the scalp completely. Leave this on your hair for about 10 minutes, then shampoo and rinse thoroughly again. Blow dry. There is something in Listerine that kills the fungus that causes dandruff, and it also relieves the itching. It may take 2 or 3 treatments to do it completely but it works. I've been doing this myself lately and it's very good, especially for the itching. longhornusa

i had the same problem of flaky white substance always dropping from the head and i went to shave off all the hair on my head and later found round white patches below the hair on the skin... i was shocked and didnt know what it was ... it became reddish and also some had blood from them... i went to the dermatologist immediately and he gave me tablet medicine and also medicated scalp shampoo. it has now reduced 90% and it is 1 month treatment.. and i can see results in 1 week and happy it is going off from my head.. i do not have scratching also.. the doctor contact is :

Hemen A Shah
Gr Flr Dar Ul Muluk , 26 Pandita Ramabai Rd ,
Gamdevi , Mumbai: 400007, India.
Tel. No.23875512

The total bill was less than 70USD including all medicines for 1 month.

i have it also, quite annoying. my mom says i dont know how to shower... but it goes away when i clip my hair short. dont need meds. just cut the hair short a wait a week and poof gone. when the hair grows poof it come back.

ill tell u this.. the more u pick or scrape ur dandruff off the more it grows back... If you don't want the dandruff just leave it alone dont touch it  try to let it ease up on its own. The faster you pick your scalp the faster it comes back and thicker to!.  We turn a little dandruff into alot by picking.

I just turned 12 last year in 2012. And I have really serious problem with this dandruff. It is irritating and quite annoying. Sometimes I scratch quite hard and I discover the entire table is filled with dandruff and bits of hair. I was really embarrassed. My mother told me not to scratch it but there are bumps on my scalp and I have to scratch it off and it often has blood underneath the huge flake and a few hair bits on top. I'm totally disgusted at what I saw and I can't do anything. Every night I wash my hair. But once I get into bed about 2 hours later I discover that large amounts of dandruff is there. I started having this thick dandruff since I was 7 years old. Thank you and I hope I get a reply.

Use Flucort 0.01% . Its a skin Lotion available in Medical shops. Apply it everyday during night times and you will feel better after ur bath. Its a water based ointment.

It's very important to treat dandruff on time. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Hi,  Can anyone suggest home remedy to remove hard and thick dandruff from scalp.

Thanks in Advance.

I found this post online on using coconut oil

Locoids scalp lotion.. have been using this for years it won't cure the condition you have but thjere won't be any scaling when you use it. Keep your scalp moist with oils and see if sugar triggers more scalling. Sometimes certain foods can trigger this sort of dandruff. Also be carefull with shapoos and washing your hair too often. Most shampoos and also anti-dandruff shampoos will make it worse

Have you tried checking for food allergies? I've had the same trouble since I was a kid, and six months ago I went gluten free. I won't say its gone completely but the change is significant. Now, if I do end up eating any wheat products, the problem returns within an hour and my scalp starts hurting too. It has really helped to avoid wheat based foods, do try! 

i have also the same thick crusty dandruff condition. when i consulted a dermatologist he gave expensive medicines but in vain, it did not work. it goes away for sometime and returns after a day. 

and it increses. PLEASE HELP