im currently a student in h.s. . ive been running since the 6th grade and during october of last year, my knee started to pop whenever i bent my knee and it continues now. i did get new shoes and i had a professional or the guy with the knowledge about shoes to fit it for me. i did get an x ray on it and supposely, it's normal. it is still bothering me, sometimes, there is a string of pain, like an electric shock and it just travels around the knee. any suggestions. hopefully, imn getting a second opinion soon. thanks

No advice but since you are young and there is pain involved you are better off to have a doctor analyze it. Just give the doc as much info to work with as you can and do your best to see on that specializes in sports injuries.

im working on a tight budget so i doubt i can get that special athletic doctor type thingy you know. and the school's athletic nurse personel person thingy is like busy. everytime i need her, we gotta wait for so long because of the football players.

could be a matter of tightness or weakness in the hip flexors, glutes, quads or hamstrings.

do you do any stretching and/or strengthening exercises? considering your age and running history, you probably need some sort of regularly scheduled gentle stretching program. after you work on flexibility of the groups, i'd start a strengthening program and hopefully, someone qualified at school can start you in the right direction.

the knee itself can be structurally sound, as seen in your xray or an MRI, but so many forces above the knee can be out of balance and consequently pull the knee off track..it's really a delicate balance and considering the stress and strain running causes, it's really no wonder the knee joint can become misaligned and stuff.

i'd be certain there is no structural damage though, sometimes an MRI, ordered by a physician, is the only definitive way of seeing "inside" that joint. you may want to start there to put your mind at ease.

good luck.

Does it 'pop' kind of like your knuckles when you crack them, or does it snap? If it's a pop, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a snap, I would.

My knees have popped since I was a younger ballerina. It's completely normal for me until I get warmed up. But there isn't any pain associated with my popping.

If it's like an elastic band snapping on the outside of the knee (if you put your finger there, you'll feel it), then it's the iliotibial (IT) band.

And if it is this, you'll want to do stretching and strengthening in the hips, back and abs. This is something that, over time, can cause a lot of discomfort and, if untreated, can be irrepairable (I'm assuming that's a word).

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use