I've hurt my knee and ankle on the same leg. Have an appointment w/ sports dr. on thurs. As you can imagine, I'm going stir crazy...and I've only been off of it since last Sunday (with the exception of running on it one time during the week, and I shouldn't have). Anyway, I'm either going to buy an exercise bike or rower.

Any recommendations? I think the bike will help strengthen my kneecap. I hope. Not sure about the rower. :|

Shelly

Cycling is a great compliment to running as it helps balance out the muscles used. I like rowing but it would not seem inducive to watching tv as your body moves back and forth change depth perception. If you don't like to watch tv than I guess it wouldn't be a problem.

Why? Are you giving up on running completely? Or just trying to compliment it?
I'd go with a bike. A real one and get a trainer, so you could bike both indoors and out.
Sorry to hear about the injury. :thumbsdown:

Cycling would be a good compliment less of an impact on the knee and ankle. Hope the doctor has some good news for you.

Is there a pool at your gym? That's my favorite cross training.....if not, I am not sure if the rower would aggravate your knee or not, depending on what's wrong with it. Probably best to go with the bike idea.

no, never! I love running....but I need to do something for however long it takes for my ankle and knee to heal. I'm going nuts, sidelined.

You know, Genie, I love water but can't remember any swim strokes...I'm afraid I'd look like a fool in the water :shrug: ...think I'm going with the bike idea!
Thanks, all! :thumbsup:

Who cares what you look like? Isn't cross training and keeping sane while you can't run more important? :duh: Besides, it comes back once you get going, and if the water's deep enough you can do deep water running with one of those floatation belts. Our pool isn't deep enough to do that but I know others have had success with that workout, at least as a temporary fix.

Well, there are life guards, lol! It is that bad. 'nuf said.

Since when is being saved by a hottie lifeguard a bad thing? ;) ;)
Fingers crossed that it is nothing serious....

The cheapest route is prob to go with the trainer-stand for the bicycle you already have and spin the back wheel against a small fan for resistance. I've got one somewhere and it's pretty good. As you might guess though, I'll throw in my 2cents on the rower. I think too many people dismiss it. The Concept2 is a fan resistance model, unlike the goofy hydraulic contraptions of yesteryear. I have found it does me better than stationary pedalling in that I get a cross-training workout that builds my shins, quads, back, and shoulder endurance.

Looking at the Concept2 forums, there's a good contingent of rowers that combine it with running and compete in both, so I know I'm not a novelty. I find the rower provides a mile per mile cardio-vascular equal to running. They aren't cheap though if you want one at home. $800 new and I see on ebay a few around $500. Ideally, trying one out a fitness center a few times is the way to see how you like it and how the knee reacts. I've rowed my way through a handful of running injuries. Without the impact of running, I find injuries don't flare up on the rower.
there's my :twocents:

Sorry to hear about the injury. The bike sounds like a good idea. It always been my first choice when I've had an injury.
Hope you are better soon and back on the roads!