my dietitian said that true carbo-loading and increasing the amount of glycogen that you can actually store in the liver is done in the 2 hours AFTER you have exercised. In other words, when you've depleted your glycogen stores, take advantage of the opportunity to load up again within those 2 hours, and you will increase the amount of glycogen you are able to store.

whaddaya think?

my dietitian said that true carbo-loading and increasing the amount of glycogen that you can actually store in the liver is done in the 2 hours AFTER you have exercised. In other words, when you've depleted your glycogen stores, take advantage of the opportunity to load up again within those 2 hours, and you will increase the amount of glycogen you are able to store. whaddaya think?
What do I think? I think my new running course will end at Shakeys! That's what I think!!! :P

Good suggestion, especially since you have depleted some of your stores and the body will be needing the cab replacement.

Absolutely. Everything I have read on the subject says to restore carbs after a run, some even suggested within 30 minutes. One place even suggested that if you are running a marathon on a sunday, to do a three mile run friday night and carbo load immediately after.

I also make sure I get some protein as well. One thing the gives a nice mix of carbs and protein (and tastes oh so good) is chocolate milk!

makes perfect sense. in fact, i have read about taper programs that include a glycogen depletion phase and then the true carbo loading begins. just don't know how one knows when they are "depleted" of gycogen stores... i think the novice/newbie runner like me often thinks carbo loading is a carte blanche on unlimited eating cuz you ran 3 miles. there is a true science to it; it just doesn't include eating the entire box of soft pretzels to load for your 3 mile training run tomorrow. the "loading" after you run is also news but very logical.

I agree with Monk. From what I've read, it's easiest to reload right after exercise and the window extends to about 2 hrs after you stop exercising.

FYI - From what I've read, the body holds about 2,000 calories worth of glycogen in the liver and muscles.

I agree with Monk. From what I've read, it's easiest to reload right after exercise and the window extends to about 2 hrs after you stop exercising. FYI - From what I've read, the body holds about 2,000 calories worth of glycogen in the liver and muscles.
which sounds about right from what the dietitian told me: 1400 cals stored in the liver. but with reloading within those 2 hours of exercise that amount can be increased.