Has anyone had bad experiences with pace groups in a large organized run? Yesterday, I was running a 20-miler on a course I had never run before, so I ran with a pace group. I've been nursing an injury, so I decided to go with a conservative 9 min/mile pace. There were no mile markers, so there was no way for me to gauge my own pace. I felt good, but didn't feel I was holding back at all. At the turnaround point, I realized that we were going at 8 min/mile pace!!!!! I went out way too fast, and suffered the last half of the run. I felt horrible. I dropped back and my pace fell off by a good 2 min/mile. I'm really sore today even though I took an ice bath pretty soon after my run. I think I'll trust my instincts from now on. I knew I should have been holding back & not worrying about pace. I'm pretty sure that if I had judged my run by effort, I would have hit 9 min pace and would have had enough for some strides at the end. Oh, well. I guess I learned my lesson.

Did they say it was going to be a 9-min pace before you started? Or was it a just a group run?

She was leading the 9 min/mile pace group.

Honestly, I'd say something to the club director or whoever is in charge of putting together these. If someone is given the charge to lead out at 9-min pace and is off the mark by a whole minute per mile, that is simply irresponsible. On a 20-mile run especially, they should have chosen someone that would hit the pace right on. You have a right to complain, I'm sure you're not the only one achin' and :argh:

1! I've seen complaints about a minute buffer in a marathon. The only time I ran with a pace group we were 30 seconds faster than pace at mile 22 and the pacer started putting in a 7:00 minute miles and I said "WTF!!!! we're slowing down". The pacer looked and said "go ahead, my job is to get this group (as many as possible) through the chute a 3 hours even". So he was actually losing the buffer--to save the group. He was the best pacer EVAH!!!!
PS: the only reason he had the buffer, was he needed to make a rest stop and left pacing duty to someone else.