Hey gang,
Does anyone of you race in flats? Not necessarily marathons but
shorter distances (5ks, 10ks, perhaps even 1/2 marathons). What are
your experiences with them?
So far my races are all done in regular trainers...I'll like to try
racing flats for the 5k-10k distance (which I will be focusing on) next year.
However I pronate and the shoes that I run in are of the stability
type...and from what I've read, most flats lack support in exchange for weight.
So far I've visited a couple of running stores to see what they have.
I don't know whether this would be a wise choice for me. Any words of
advice?

Thanks
Tim

I really like the new Aasics GelSpeedstar...they are yellow and black which makes you stand out as being fast and serious which I really like too. :D Anyway, you might like them, since they are actually not exclusively a "racing flat", but instead are "super-lightweight" trainers/racers. The only problem with them is I think they might be for neutral runners to underpronaters, so if you are an overpronater, you might want something else.

Check it out though.

At the speeds you run Tim I would definitely invest in a pair of racing flats for the shorter races (10k and less). I don't think the control requirements for your pronation would be that big of a problem wearing the flats on race day only. Also, wear them a few times for speed workouts to get used to them.

I would try them out at the 5k distance first to make sure you don't have any problems and then work up from there.

Get racing flats for 5ks and 10ks. I can't imagine racing without them. Also, you should wear them to the track for your speed workouts. The first race or two (or track workouts) might leave your shins and/or calves a little tight. Don't sweat it. Stretch. You'll adapt. The extra speed you get is worth it. (You'll do better than most people in them considering how light you are.) You have built a solid enough base and take your training and racing seriously enough that racing flats should be required for you at this point. When I got my latest pair, I was still fitted at a running speciality store. I have pronation issues and they found a pair that gave me the least amount of trouble. Do that if you can, don't just order them online. Even flats differ in their ability to provide motion control / stability / cushioning.

timruns, promise me right now that you'll get flats if you don't have them already. You should notice a BIG difference in your racing. If you're worried about your feet, maybe this will ease your mind. I ran in flats for about 9 months, getting up to a high of around 100/week. Now, I don't have any pronation issues, but even so. One race with no support isn't going to do all that much.

Hope you have the flats already or are getting them soon.

Yup...I plan to get them soon though not till January since the running store won't be getting them until then. Btw...I checked out your website...very impressive PRs! Looks like you have your work cut out for you for the next few years.

Glad to hear it, and yes I do have my work cut out. A horrible, horrible amount of work.

I also pronate, and my ankles get sore by the end of the race. It's well worth it though. Try on as many as you can and pick the pair with the most support. I have some Asics Outbacks and they support my ankles much more than my last pair.