Hi. I'm hearing a lot of different information regarding proper hydration during and after workout. I generally use Gatorade during and post-workout. Mostly because it tastes good. I've read about the positive effects of tomato juice, but still not sure if that's the best option. Do you guys use anything aside from water? What about electrolytes? I know they're important if you're putting in some serious work. I'd appreciate if you could share your optimal hydration strategy?

Hi. You can use the following guidelines as a starting point. You can modify your fluid needs accordingly later.

- Before Exercise -

Drink about 15-20 fl oz of fluids, 2-3 hours before exerciseDrink 8-10 fl oz about 10-15 min before exercise

- During Exercise -

Drink 8-10 fl oz of fluids every 10-15 min during exerciseIf yur workout lasts longer than 90 minutes, you should drink 8-10 fl oz of a sports drink (with no more than 8 % of carbs) every 15-30 minutes.

- After Exercise -

You should drink 20-24 fl oz of water for every 1 lb lost. The easiest way to calculate this is to Weigh yourself before and after workout and replace fluid losses accordingly.

Also, consume a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein within the 2 hours after exercise to replenish glycogen stores.

Also, be careful not to drinking too much water. It can cause a low concentration of sodium in the blood and thus serious medical emergency.