I was using herion and started the methadone clinic to get off the herion, I know people say its a replacement drug and have negative opinions in regards to those of us who are taking methadone but for me its the only thing that has kept me clean from herion in almost a year. A few months after being in the clinic I became pregnant, this was not a planned pregnancy. My counslor told me that to come off the methadone would cause a miscarriage. Also said that maybe one in twenty babies born to mothers on methadone went thru withdrawels. I did some research and learned most babies detox. I would like to hear from mothers that have been in my spot. I am on 120mg a day and it doesn't last me 24hrs, I feel terrible in the morning until about s half hr after I get medicated. I'm afraid to go up in my dose. I don't want the detox to be harder on the baby because of my high dose. I am 170pds and due mid april. Please tell me your stories, give me advice, anything. I sm scared. I don't know how long the hosp will keep me or how long they will keep my son. Thank you for taking the timr to give me your input, it is appreciated. ?

I am eager to know how u are coming along as I am in the same boat. Ive been lowering my dose though and start feeling irritable in  the early morning hours. I saw a fetal medicine specialist and he had instructed me to tapper my dose by 20% every 6 days, of course the clinic I go to, doesnt agree. Ive been doing it now for about four months and am just hoping that I made the "right" decision for once in my life. Now Im questioning whether I shouldve listened to him or if I shouldve done what the clinic said to do...double the dose. I dont want my child to suffer at all because of my wrong doings. Please let me know how u made out...Thanks, Crystal

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

. Please check out this site

I was on methadone and became pregnant and my baby was born with no detectable withdrawal symptoms. To be safe I chose to breast feed as this is recommended so that the child will receive a small amount of methadone in the milk thus helping the baby to detox. At first it was difficult to breast feed and throughout the first few weeks I did use both breast milk and formula. After a few weeks though my son figured it out and continued to breast feed until he was almost one year old. I was told that how bad a babie's withdrawal symptoms are depends on how quickly the child metabolizes the methadone. I began my pregnancy at 120mgs and ended at 145mgs. I had been afraid that raising my dose would cause my child to have a worse withdrawal, but the doctors overseeing my care told me that it was important to not expose the fetus to the stress of being sick during pregnancy. I can only say that they seemed to be right because my baby was born healthy, without complication, and with no detectable withdrawal symptoms. Infact the entire birth would have been completely routine had the nurse assigned to my room not treated me like I had aids and put on two pairs of gloves to take my blood pressure! Unfortunately, there is a terrible stigma that comes with being on methadone so make sure you follow your doctors advice and do your research. My son is 4 now and he is a normal, loving, energetic boy. I have read studies that say there is increased risk of behavior problems in babies that are born on methadone, but do not let this freak you out. Remember that behavior problems can never be pinned on one specific source. Most professionals would agree that behavior problems are usually due to a complicated combination of factors such as socio economic status, parenting style, peers, etc. I hope this helps. Congrats!