Hi, folks. I need some advice. I have a newborn and this is my first child. My doctor hasn’t recommended me giving water to my baby. I wonder if babies need water. Has your doctor recommended you something similar? I would appreciate if someone could tell me something more about this. Thanks.

Hi, there. There is no need to give your newborn water. Newborn gets all the necessary fluid from breast milk and infant formula. Colostrum is also enough to get baby well hydrated. Baby’s kidneys are still immature and cannot concentrate urine properly. If you give too much plain water to your baby, those kidneys won’t function properly. That is why one should not give to newborn water unless a pediatrician recommends it. If you have some doubts, consult your doctor. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

i consulted my midwife on this matter when my baby was first born and she said that a baby should be given water especially on a hot day, think when your firsty your baby must be too.

Hi, there's no need to give water to your newborn at all, in fact the majority of doctors agree that babies just need their mothers breast milk untill they're 6months birthday and nothing else. However some doctors think aftar 4 months, you can give him/her the baby food or water with consulting pediatrician. The breast milk has evering the little baby needs. Hope you and your beautiful newborn always be fine:)

are you kidding me? EVERY DOCTOR not to mention the WHO *world health org* will tell you outside of a serious medical need ie.. constipation there is NO NEED to give a baby water..... all kinds of complications can happen since the babys' kidneys still are immature...... your "midwife" needs to read a book or two

REALLY? You trust the WHO? the org that spread the h1n1 pandemic and is sponsored by the UN.  You really need to read a book or two. the Midwife is more than correct. How is a newborns kidneys not able to process pure water? if anything formula from cows is more difficult for your baby's kidneys to processes.  We feed our baby about 2 ounces a day of room temperature bottled water with no enhanced minerals bc that is a bunch of crock that they but those minerals in your water to begin with.  He feeds more bc his thirst is quenched and he sleeps better and it helps with his gas.  did i mention that he is only 3 days old?  so...

Well, at least someone is speaking some sense. I gave all my four water but my daughter absolutely refuses to give her daughter any. She is breastfed and sometimes, when she's crying, a drink of water is what's needed, not more brest milk.

You shouldn't really give a newborn water as it could take the place of feeding. They don't physically need it, they get all their water from breastmilk/formula (which is made up of approx. 80% water).

WHAT HAPPENDS WHEN THE BABY GET CONSTIPATED. IS IT ALL RIGHT THEN? MY ADVICE IS TO GIVE THE BABY AT LEAST ONE OUNCE OF WATER A DAY BECAUSE IT GOES A LONG WAY. THIS IS A GG-MOTHER SHARING SOME WIDSOM.