Those of you training with a HRM. How did you establish you max heart rate? I will be getting one in the next few weeks and just want to know where to start out.

thanks!

I've got a book that I got off of amazon (but I can't find it there anymore) and the author suggests doing hard hill repeats. Be ready to throw up at the end. Pushing your heart rate to the max like that, for me at least, makes for a good :puke: at the end (no, I didn't, but I came close).

You may want to check with a Dr. before you go out and do that. That's a VERY hard workout.

PH, that makes sense. (the :puke: part) I went to the doctor and asked about a stress test and he was looking into it. I was thinking of get my VO2 max numbers as well. I don't know what these numbers would tell me but since I was there and doing the work it might me informative. Thanks!

gotta love the hill repeat test

I have only done it once. I should do another one in December to have a base for next year.

I did the hill test, and a few runs just to get a MHR, mine was 176. By the book it should be 180. So its not that far off.

since greg and i are twins i did the test and told him my number and we both used it when he maxed his out i adjust mine
since we are identical it is cool that way and a whole lot cleaner

but i loved the hill test

I've never run with a HRM, but I did have one on the whole time I was in labor and during my surgery. My HR never got above 87. Isn't that just sick?

That is fantastic, great to be in shape isn't :thumbsup:

Every thing I read says the way to figure your max heart rate is to take 220 minus your age.
I'm 49, so my max heart rate would be 171.

JTB,
That formula is a VERY GENERAL guideline to finding one's maxHR. It doesn't take into account resting HR, fitness level, etc., and is good for a 'ballpark' figure. Doing a max or sub-max stress test is a better way to determine YOUR maxHR.

gotta love the hill repeat test I have only done it once. I should do another one in December to have a base for next year.
I think I'm gonna try the hill repeats. I've basically just estimated with the 220 minus age, but I know that's just a generalization .....