Hi, my grandfather is diagnosed with merkel cell carcinoma. What are his chances to cure this cancer?

Hi, your grandfather has a very rare form of skin cancer. It is probably manifested as a lump on the skin. The lumps are red in colour and quite big. anything from 1 to 6 cm across. They develop in the areas of the body that get the most direct sun - the head, neck and arms. It is a fast developing disease. Later on it can often spread to the lymph nodes, lungs, liver or bone. It is very important to know in which stage of cancer is your grandfather to determine his chances. If the cancer has not spread a lot and infected some vital organs his chances are greater.

I am a survivor of Merkel Cell Cancer, have been in remission for the last 16 months. I have located another 101 survivors, family members, and some health care professionals doing research on MCC. Please search Google Groups for Merkel Cell Cancer or following this link to our group. There is a lot of information from others that have gone down this path.

groups-beta.google.com/group/merkelcell?hl=en[/url]

George