I am a 32 year old female that had a tonsillectomy performed on 04/08/2009. I have had trouble with my tonsils for years and most recently had been dealing with the most pain and swelling that I ever had to with my tonsils. It was VERY obvious that it was time for them to go. My doctor was great! He was very informative and made me well aware of what to look forward to dealing with.
After the surgery and upon my awakening, I felt as tho my throat was closed. Due to the local anesthetic numbing the entire area... u feel that way. I was given pain medicine, allowed time for that feeling to go away where I could actually swallow, and allowed resting time. I was released by 6pm that evening and went in at about 10am. My doctor perscribed me with percocet for pain and nystatin for oral thrush, as he explained a common side effect to having this surgery is ORAL THRUSH. He said due to the antibotic given to you thru IV, just prior to surgery in such a large dosage, it tends to throw your system off and you may develop thrush. I heard him but I never really thought that it would actually come. I mean I am a fairly healthy woman....but it did!
Due to research on the surgery, I prepared myself with plenty of water, ensure, pudding, ice cream, apple sauce and yogart. Things that I knew would be easier to take in and cold...as the cold seemed to be most soothing to me when I was having most pain with my tonsils. Post surgery, I was in a great deal of pain for the 1st two days. On a scale of 1-10, I was at a 10 for the 1st two days. I pretty much stayed medicated with the percocet. I only took enough of them to me comfortable, rahter than to remove the pain totally. I drank 1 ensure morning and 1 in the evning for thos 1st 48hours. I found yogart was great, as it allowed me to take my percocet, by crushing it and making a lil sandwich on a spoon, if u will, so that I would not have to taste the pill. Crushed ice was good at this time too. I just wasnt interested in swallowing. Talking was out of the question and plenty of rest was great!
By day three, I felt a pain of maybe an 8 on a 1-10 scale, but I pretty much was on the same diet. I added more of the ice cream, sorbet and water. On day five, I ate a portion of a spaghetti no meat meal with broccoli (cooked soft) and accomplished that by chopping everything up fine as if i were feeding a baby. It was great getting a normal meal on stomach, tho I found the spice didnt agree with my throat. Basically, I wasnt quite ready for that. So I pretty much stuck to my soup diet, ensure, water. etc..
On day seven, a went to my follow up visit and while still in pain of about a six or seven without medication, I did feel progress. And the doctor did confirm that progression also. Unfortunately, the thrush had not gone and come to find out, this is causing a significant amount of my pain in my throat. Even thru today which is day eleven. I am still on the Nystatin, which is a liquid that is swished in ur mouth and swallowed. Of course in my case I place the liquid directly toward the back of the throat and gargle, as the thrush is in the cavity that the tonsils were in and swallow. I also have introduced more to my diet as I can swallow and eat much better, but still no spicey foods, sodas or things of that nature. They seem to be irritating. The doctor says no foods or drinks are slowing the process for the thrush to go away, however at this point I have decided to investigate "thrush" so that I can work on a speedy recovery. Doing so, i have decided to go back to my liquid diet with plenty of water, or watch my intake of what little foods i will eat. For example, appearantly sugar feeds the yeast (thrush) so I'm going to take as little sugar intake as possible until l am fully recovered.
At night eleven, I am still on pain medication, because this thrush hurts as bad as the healing wounds. While I'm sure this will be all worth it once I have reached recover, all-in-all; proper rest, the right diet (post sugery), taking your medication as perscribed and on time and staying informed as much as possible will make for successful recovery. I will post again to advice of what I encountered thru the end of my recovery.

Thank so much for the info. You were so detailed. It's important to know what to expect. I don't think that a lot of people know that a tonsillectomy for an adult can be do serious and uncomfortable. It's important to hear that the end is good. I've seen some posts with horrible stories about the recovery process. Thank again. Please let me know how you are doing now.