Hey all,

I had a tonsillectomy/sinus surgery on the 13th and have been going through the hell many of you are describing. The ridicoulous thing for me was that I did not even have tonsillitis, but they were swollen, producting tonsiliths, and along with my sinusitis were respomnsible, I believe, for causing my run down miserable state.

Wow, I cannot type that well thanks to the Percoset. Well, I saw the ENT today and he told me it looks like everything is coming along well. I thought my scabs were due to start slouging off, but he said its still 3-4 days off. Bummer, I really want to get through this. I'm really anticipating the scabbing probs, but since mine are moist and I've been well hydrated I'm not anticipating any bleeding, just scared about the pain/duration.

It's been a roller coaster ride for me. I'm 35, and I guess my tonsils were pretty large and inflamed. I had the T and A/ Sinus surgery done at the same time. The pain seemed to be managealb the first day, but I was on GA/ Percoset. The second day the Percoset caused me itchynessoff a bit and they switched me to Vicodin. I've been taking it up to today with questionable results. I'm on day seven and on today the ENT told me, contrary to the on call ENT that the Percoset was okay. I'm back on it and today has been a little better.

Here's the biggest gripes....

1. I'm starting to feel like I'm going nuts becuase I have no idea when this pain started or will end (okay some melodrama here but really!)

2. Swallowing is a lesson in misery, and it feels like I have chunks of old dried eggs lodges in my throat.

3. These pain meds have made me constipated, so I take suppository. No longer constipated but now my butt hurts from everything coming out rapid fire like some horrid soft ice-cream dispenser.

4. The pain meds kill the pain, but kill the brain...I feel like a complete id**t sometimes.

5. Parents and other wellwishers....seriously, these people say the most idiotic things! "Well, its been five days I'm sure your on the rebound!"...."This too will pass"....."you should just try without the pain meds, I'm sure you can manage".....Etc. Etc. Etc. One friend came by and told me "Hey, your up and typing on the laptop you must be okay!, I wish I could lay in bed and not work for a while"(Okay you get your tonsils ripped out you id**t and I can stand there making dumb comments)

This is truly a little journey through a dark little hell. Seriously, I've left the land of the living and have entered Tonsil Purgatory hell. I'd seriously like someone to talk to who is going through this. Lets trade msn messenger IDS, and chat on MSN. I'd even be willing to talk a bit on phone. It's just getting depressing and I feel talking together about this would cheer us up a bit.

Oh why did I listen to that otolarygotological marquis de sade!!!

Reading your experience has scared me to say the least. I am scheduled for the tonsillectomy on Nov 28th, 32, and am scared as ever.....I hope you are doing better and feeling more like yourself. I have heard the pain is HORRID for at least 5 days, but it sounds like yours has been going on longer than that. Are you feeling better?

I have not had my tonsillectomy yet, I am scheduled for late November. Your post hit close to home, as I am 32 and anxious about the surgery and recovery. They say the pain is unbearable for adults for several days. Are you doing better? Has the pain decreased? Anything you can recommend to help through the healing process? How are your ears?

Well, I'm 16 days post surgery and going my tonsil holes are descabbing. Swallowing has been excruitiating, but I'm not in pain all the time. Strangely, I was able to eat this one dish yesterday without pain. Later I had a bite of something else and was dying...

The descabbing really sucks, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

I don't think my case is really exceptional. The older you are and the more your tonsils are enlarged/inflamed, the harder the recovery is. Mine I guess is longer then some.

I'm 36 years old and had my tonsillectomy on Monday, October 30, 2006 and it is now Saturday, November 4th. The pain is manageable with vicadin, but I'm going out of my mind not being able to speak. My throat gets so tired from whispering that I often fall asleep for 3 hours after someone visits with me for 15 minutes. When does your energy return and when can you start talking again (without your throat going into involuntary spasm)?

:'( i feel for all you people. i can't believe i am even typing here, but got worried so i am looking for some help or answers. i am 43 years old and i had a tonsillectomy on nov 7, 2007, and the first day was painful but i was heavily medicated, so i didnt really know much, sleep most of the day. the 2nd day i was able to take very little cool broth and jello and even melted shebert, but now the 3rd day, for some reason it feels worst of all. i can barely open my mouth, cant talk, cant swallow, and it feels all swollen. i can barely fit a straw in there for liquids. this is horrible. help, any suggestions? probably gonna wait a bit longer, then call doctor.

Our ent that did the surgery is refusing to give my son any more percocet and he is only on the 6th day of healing....I don't understand....my son is in the worst pain of his life....seriously....I am a nurse, and I know that pain is supposed to be managed....is this normal....is this what other ent's are doing....Please give me some feedback...I feel like I'm in the dark ages about this....

My son's ent is refusing to give my son any more percocet, he is on day 6, and I have never seen anyone in this amount of uncontrolled pain. I am a nurse and I am trained that we always do our best to control someones pain...is this normal for them not to want to continue pain meds through out the 14 days recoup.....I feel like this is in the stone age....My son, has been to the er for pain control., and they called the ent, and didn't send him home with anything....

He is not an at risk youth or anything....have you heard of this? how was your ent?

I think this is barbaric

This is a weird thing to say but I am glad to see that I am not the only one in this hell. Not that I should be glad, because I would never ever want even my worst enemy to go through this, but this forums offer a comfort I didn't have a few days ago. I had my tonsillectomy & also my adenoids taken out on Nov. 1st, and I did suffer the first week. I was always sleepy from my meds. I was rearely awake, and swallowing was if to ask to to kill my self. But the meds were pretty good on helping me out. By the 5th-6th day I started to get back to my regular diet, except for any spicy/citrus foods. (Bumer I'm half Méxican). Now about he ugly tasting, feces smelling scabs. Well yes I've read that they are "supposed to fall off" on the 5th-10th day after surgery. Just reminding you all I am in my 11th day of recovery. A piece fell of yesterday night when I couldn't stop coughing. I swollowed but was so grossed out I ran to the restroom and puked it up along with my dinner. I have feces breath I sware! (Good thing is I can't smell it, but hey my family can, but I can taste it... Which is worse?) I just want it to go bye-bye NOW! I have to be in my room all day to avoid grossing my family out. They are pretty nice about it, but lets face it it smells from feet away! When the scabs fall of (Oh lordy that just seems soooo not in this present) I going to have to WASH and dissinfect my bed, and everything I accidentally spit all over when I was asleep I am sure it has to smell like my scabs. Even my mucus smells! I am happy to say I am pain free and I can swallow normally. But I can't live a normal life until my scabs fall off. I want to cry! I can't socialize with anybody without getting them sick to their stomach and making them puke.

Anybody has the same problem??? If the scab does not fall of I will be obligued to start "messing" with it!

I also read that eating toast drowned with butter will help it fall off. I already tried that but I don't see the results...

I'm 41 and had my tonsils reomoved Nov 9th. The percocet really helps. The worst part so far is my bruised and swollen tongue. The steroids seem to be helping with that.

As far as no pain meds after day 6 post-op, I think is sadistic. I didn't look at the count in my bottle but it looks like I have plenty to get me through. My ENT even recommended taking them every six hours whether I need them or not (at least at first) to ward off pain. Apparently it is easier to control this way. I would get a second oppionion if I were you or go to your ENT in person and demand an explanation.

The one person talked about only fitting a straw in, I would call the doctor. My doctor told me no straws, basically no sucking whether on straws or popsicles. Chop popsicles up in a bowl and eat with a spoon or better yet, drink when melted which drives my husband nuts for some reason.

Not looking forward to stinky scabs.

I am scheduled to have both nasal surgery and a tonsillectomy at the end of this month. I know all about the pain, and have heard that it is worse than labor was. (I don't see how that can be, but I have heard it more than once.) My greatest fear is breathing!!! Is it really possible to have your nose packed, your tonsils out with the sorest throat you have ever had, and still be able to breathe? Please give some reassurance. I know that the tonsillectomy alone is a horrible recovery for a 41 old. My son had his out at 5 and I thought we had killed him. It was awful, and I felt like a terrible mother! I just need to hear that someone else made it through this walk on the wild side.

I hope you can recover fast :) Wishing you all the luck in the world. I also hope that you are one of the lucky ones that gets to have their scab of on the 5th day :)

I sill have most of mine :-S But somehow the odor is recessing. (To some extent)

Wishing you the best in your recovery.

"Guest007"

I am soooooooooo glad to know that I am not the only one suffering here!!! I had my tonsils removed last wednesday!! 1 week!! I thought I would be back to work today! I can feel the scabs in my throat.......its DISGUSTING!!! When the doctor pryed my mouth open he managed to cut my tongue and the back of my mouth. I think a lot of my pain is coming from that!! I have lost nearly 13 lbs in the past week. YES 13 lbs!!!!! As much as the weight loss is welcomed.....its a painful way to do it!! Good Lord I had no idea how awful I would feel. Everyone I talk to says "you must be over reacting, kids go through this all the time". I would be happy to taken a sedative the last week and slept all the way through this misery! I wish I would have known about this site days ago. I could've been talking to people who knew what I was going through!!! But, I suppose it all has to end somewhere right? The question is WHEN!!???

I'm on day 5 since surgery and am a little bored but don't feel well enough to do anything. Ice cream makes my mouth foam due to my bruised and swollen tongue. The best thing I can find to eat is cold split pea soup but only after taking a percocet.

Any suggestions on food or entertainment that is working for you?

I wonder if it will be completely healed at the two week mark? It's not even close right now.

Whoa, I was nervous about this before... now I'm freaking out!! :-( Will post once *IT* happens on pain and recovery and pain and misery and pain. Nice to have a forum like this with people who'll understand!