Hi, I am a female, 16yrs of age, I recently had my tonsils out on Friday February 23/07 and I have been having a great difficulty talking. It’s been 8 days now and is still painful to talk. I don't want to sound rude but I sound similar to what a deaf person would sound like. Is this normal? When should I be able to talk comfortably? Replies and comments on anyone else’s experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I'm 28 and 5 days ago I had my tonsils out. I don't think thats rude, as thats how I feel when I'm trying to talk too. I think it can be chalked up to my tongue being a little swollen. I couldn't speak at all for the first couple of days (my boyfriend was in heaven! haha).

I just had mine out and I feel that I sound like Kermit the Frog on some sort of drug. I sound garbled. I foam at the mouth. I'm a mess. Tell me when this ends!

I am on day 6 of recovery. I can only utter muffled sounds within 1 hour of taking meds...you could not understand what i am saying. It is just as painful swallowing as trying to talk. I just write things down.
when i go to the store...you really get to see what mute people have to go through. They say thank you...and you can not say thank you back!

I had my tonsils out when I was 17. This was a few years ago. But the strange sound when you talk is normal. I myself couldn't talk till about the end of 14 days post op, and when I did start to talk I sounded like a deaf person as well. But my voice did come back to normal so don't be worried. Also you may notice your voice will change a little, at least that is what my friends and family told me. My voice got a little higher- but it was a subtle change.

i dont think that you should be foaming at the mouth!

I didnt expect to find anything when i googled "sound like a deaf person after tonsillectomy" but im so glad to hear im not alone on this one! Im 23 and had my tonsils out 11 days ago, ive been able to talk the whole time, but it was quite painful to do so. Now when i talk Have diffuculty pronouncing some words, particularly words with 'R' in them. How long will this last for?!?!

I was lucky to be able to speak throughout the recovery period. But, my voice was slightly higher than usual initially and during painful periods, talking is difficult and has to be done very softly.

My guess is that the swelling has somehow affecting your vocal chords but it should be temporary only for adult tonsillectomy. Talking like a deaf person would probably mean you are speaking relatively loudly. You should refrain from doing that as it probably add to the strain to your wounded throat.

I have a 5 year old that is 6 days post op and sounds like a chipmunk when she talks, if I can even understand her muffled talk. She spoke very clearly before the surgery and now I have a very hard time understanding her. I have been very concerned and feel some relief at reading these comments. Thanks.

I'm 13 and I'm the same way.I had my tonsils out 7 days ago. That's why I googled this.I thought something went wrong with the surgery and took away my vocals,but I'm glad to read your responses and know that I'm just fine.! Besides the pain Of Course

I'm 42 and just got my tonsils out. I'm on day three and can talk fine. I've been told by my doctor, that I will have sevearl different periods of pain and swelling. These would probably make it difficult if not impossible for me to talk. He also told me that there would be a chance of my voice changing after recovery. All I can say is Thank God for Pain meds! I know this thread is sort of old, but hope this helps others.

When I had my tonsils out, my voice sounded like i had to cough for about a week after I started feeling better (about 2+ weeks after surgery). As for the tongue hurting, it is called "thrush" and it's from bacteria collecting on your tongue during the time your mouth was held open in surgery. It will definitely go away. Also, I would make weird noises withouth being able to control it for quite a while after it. Sometimes, it sounded like an oink. It was really embarassing. When I yawned (after healing), my ears would sort of pop and my breath would come out of my nose and mouth at the same time, which is a very weird feeling. That took a while to go away. Ihope this helps. If you have anymore questions, let me knoww! :-)

My 6yo daughter had her tonsils out and is day 12 of recovery... she still sounds funny and muffled like that when she talks. I read somewhere else that it could take up to 2 months to get your normal voice back. I hope not... it's really hard to understand her.

i'm 17 and i got my tonsils out last monday so it's almost a week and a half now. when i talk...i feel like i'm going to swallow my tongue..as weird as that sounds. i can say a few sentences and then feel like gagging. i haven't noticed any voice changing though...but i am wondering if what i'm going through is normal. It is quite uncomfortable and i'm a little worried because my tongue isn't swollen anymore but maybe something else is right by the back of my tongue?

Hi all,

I just got my tonsils removed 1/10/11 and I am in SO much pain. I think my tongue hurts more than my throat and my tongue is white! It's disgusting. I can't really talk either only when I've taken the codeine elixir I was prescribed by my ENT doctor. I'm just concerned about my white tongue. Will this go away? :-(