Hi all. I'm on my fifth day of recovery after my tonsillectomy, performed because of chronic tonsillitis and peritonsillar abcesses.

I've read a few posts that talk about thrush in the back of the throat after surgery. What is thrush? What are the symptoms? Is it painful? Since the surgery, the back of my throat has been white and I spit yellow phlegm. The best way to describe it's appearance is that it looks like a seared tuna steak (white on the surface and deep red underneath). Is this normal? Unfortunately, it's the weekend and my surgeon is not in . . . any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I just got my tonsils out yesterday and im exactly the same - the doc told me its just because the skin is trying to renew itself and heal more quickly due to op.

If you had thrush you would have it all over your mouth in white spots similar.

Hope that helps

I had my tonsils removed 7 days ago. I'm 20 and I have reumatic fever. I recovered in about 4 days and didn't have any pain. I'm still on a diet just to be safe. I wasn't taking any painkillers because of my heart condition, but I didn't have much pain either. However, my wounds were stitched up, not "cooked" and I would recommend this to everyone - it's just less damage to the rest of your throat.
I had to drink starch for the first 2 days to thiken blood and prevent bleeding.
Do not eat ice-cream. Stick to lukewarm home-maid chicken broth (not the canned one!).

Hope this helps: First of all: Get on the phone and make an appointment with your doctor:to have him/her examine your mouth. Regarding thrush (Candidiasis): To know more about it, type in these words in a Google search.

You probably were given antibiotics either before and/or after the surgery. Thrush can be controlled or prevented by taking an (over-the-counter) "acidophilus" pill daily until is is gone. Tell your doctor that you are taking it.

Also, if you like yogurt and/or buttermilk, these too, can help put back "good bacteria" back into your stomach (actually, Candidiasis affects your whole system - from your bottom, all the way up your esophagus to your mouth). Antibiotics strip the good bacteria, causing a "yeast infection".

Being a woman, I always remind my doctor I need something. This last time she gave me fluconazole, which is quite effective. Sometimes they recommend Monistat, or other over-the-counter creams, which are effective too. Just follow the directions.

My son just had his tonsils out 10 days ago...at 17 years of age he was a mess !! Yes the back of the throat looks like a neuclear disaster area, but what tipped me off was the white coating on his tongue. When on day 3 it was still there and not budging with the toothbrush we were off to the GP - he looked for the white walls of the mouth and sure enough it was thrush - a yeast infection often seen in nursing babies or following antibiotics...neither of which applied to my son (!) A course of nystatin - an oral rinse - has since subsided the issue and he is now on his way to full recovery although he lost 8-10 lbs in the process. Imperative to keep up with the fluids during recovery and keep the vocal cords working at some level. opening your mouth and letting the sunshine in helps kill the thrush as well.

Good luck in your recovery.

Wow this was very helpful. I am 36 and had my tonsils out 8 days ago. I feel worse today than in the last 8 days. My mouth is full of thrush, my head hurts, I can hardly swallow and I am not sleeping. Darvocet helps some but it still kills me to swallow, even water. So far I have lost 8 pounds, am forcing my self to drink water. The pain is affecting my right ear at this point. I have a call in to my doc, who is in surgery today...waiting for a call back from a nurse. Glad I read about others with thrush, I was thinking the worst.

This really helps answer my questions. I am 21 years old and just had surgery on tuesday 3 days ago. I have never in my life been in so much pain! There is no possible way anybody can be prepared for what is to come. I realize different people have different reactions and i highly advice not to tell people "Its not that bad". I have already lost 7 ibs in 3 days cuz I can barely even sip down water. Let alone eat food. Needless to say I am starving. For those of you that did not or do not have pain.... GOD BLESS YOU. I am a bit jealous! Good luck to everyone for a speedy recovery!

Hi, the same thing has happened to me I have been issued the oral mouth rinse by the doctors for thrush in the mouth. I'm on day 8 after my tonsils and I am in so much pain still. I only got given the minty rinse yesterday so I have only had three doses. How long does it take to work? I don't think I can cope with this pain much longer .

I am 22 and on day 5 of my recovery tho I wouldnt call it recovery bc it seems to be worst than ever! Everything hurts, i can barely open my mouth without pain radiating thru my jaw throat and all the way to my ears i feel like i have lock jaw! Ive been up all night bc the loratab is not even touching the pain since lastnight! Even under my tongue is extremly sore! Idk what else to do or try :( any advice

Hi AshleyMaye, I literally feel your pain - I had tonsils out 6 days ago. Weird how the pain has gotten gradually worse instead of better. I have elected to 'sleep' on the couch so as not to disturb my husband because I'm up & down constantly during the night.

I've found that the extra special pain-killers provided by the hospital were actually not as effective for me as panamax, which I am currently slurping down in rasberry cordial. Warm baths are good for general relaxation, and I've been practically constantly taking sips or scoops of ice chips or yoghurt throughout the day to remind myself to swallow. Good luck - surely it can't last for too much longer ???!!!

I am afraid I too have thrush! I am on day 6 post op and this is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life! I can only eat applesauce and ice chips. The jello, popcicles, ice cream, gelato and juice all make the thickness in my mouth even thicker! No one seems to understand when I try to explain this . Everything, including pain meds, burn so bad!

I am 20 had my tonsils removed 8 days ago began throwing up within hours after the surgery still have been throwing up periodically (so much worse to throw up with fresh wounds in your throat) I have had bad thrush for the last 3 days my tongue is coated in a thick white almost furry looking substance if I brush it bleeds my there are white patches on my gums and roof of mouth. they gave me a oral rinse for it. I have been living off cold chicken broth and ensure as well as crushed ice. I have stayed away from dairy for the most part bc the mucus build up in my throat is ridiculous. did anyone else experience sharp stinging pains. my throat isn't sore anymore just if I swallow or talk i get intesnse sharp stinging pains in my throat :( how much longer till I am all healed :( 

I nervously expected more pain from day 5 and boy did I get it. I didnt know but I also had thrush in the mouth.
The 3rd Doc I spoke to & first one I saw diagnosed thrush & also gave me small pain relief tablets I can swallow. Now pain varies & is not nice but I can cope & eat.
Its now Day9 and I can imagine I may be getting better now.
I am going back to docs for another check up now thrush is clearing...i want to know if it looks ok? Also to see if I must work as I am currently woozy a lot from pain relief...
Good luck to everyone going through this...its hard but you will get there!!

I know this discussion is already long over but I just wanted to say that I'm a 17 year old female and I had my tonsils out yesterday. Yesterday wasn't too bad for me and today, the day after, my throat is a little more sore. I was given liquid hydro and children's Motrin and let me just say, the children's Motrin has surprisingly worked wonders! The hydro barely works for me but the Motrin quickly dulls the pain. For anyone who reads this in the future I definitely reccomend having some of this by your bedside. Also, it is normal not to eat, it's been over 36 hours for me and i haven't been hungry once. I did however have to eat a few spoonfuls of jello to take my antibiotic with. And the reason for the back of the throat being all torn up is because they have a tube running down your throat the whole surgery. My doctor said around 8-10 days your throat should begin scabbing over and you should drink TONS of fluid then to keep them from drying out and to lessen the pain of swallowing.

For anyone who read this after having tonsillectomy, before having it or just for the future. It is not actually that painful as you imagine (before you say that for some people it's worse and all I will tell you that I had a lot of complications before the surgery so they cut out a lot of the areas and it would have hurt like hell if not this). First of all - painkillers (that's one step), second step - hydration, by hydration I mean not having fluids in your body, but having your wound wet all the time by drinking water (I recommend doing it with a normal straw) and also don't drink a lot of water in just one hour, you need to keep it wet all the time so drinking water should be your passive.
It will usually hurt in the morning because your wound became dry so then take painkillers in the morning and immediately start drinking water (Will be painful, but in about 10 minutes you will see the difference).