I'm a 20 year old male and I'm going to have a tonsillectomy on Thursday.

1. How long do I need to take off of work?
2. How long before I can go back to the gym
3. What is better for recovery: cold things or warm things?
4. Is it possible I die during the procedure?
5. Any suggestions for what food I should be stocking up on? Is Ensure a good drink to have; I heard dairy isn't good?

Thanks a lot. I'm nervous for the surgery and though it hasn't started yet, I'm hoping I can stand the recovery.

HI Leonard, here's some answers to your questions.

1. I would say you should take off two full weeks just to ensure proper recovery. You may come back early if you feel better, but two weeks works best.
2. I'd take a full month of from the gym. YOu need to recover, and going back early can cause complications.
3. I would say that you should leave everything at a good warm. Cold is good for compressions for the neck, but I think keeping it between cold and hot is just fine.
4. Not to alarm you, but yes. But any surgery carries that risk. It is a very low risk.
5. I would say that you should get some electrolyte stuff like gatorade and tomato soup.

I'm sure others will be along with their ideas--when do you go under?

Hi, I'm a 19 year old female that had the surgery, I figure we'll have similar recoveries.

1. I would suggest a full two weeks. Like the previous poster said, you can go back early if you're feeling better. I'm on day 6 and can't imagine being back at work, so keep that in mind!
2. My doctor said I could start easing back into physical activity after 2 weeks, but don't do anything that strains until a month or so. I wouldn't lift for a month, but I'll start running again when I get my energy back.
3. Cold things kind of numb your throat, which is good, but it's easiest to get down luke-warm stuff. Room temperature. Don't eat anything hot, as that can cause bleeding.
4. I guess it's always possible with anesthesia, but the risk is super super super low.
5. Jello and mac&cheese are my foods of choice. I don't really like Gatorade since it builds up mucus, I just stick to water. Make sure to get ice packs!!

good luck!

Actually I think that you've got a good point there. I don't think that I'd remembered how awful gatorade can be and how sticky it is. I am gonna have to change my answer to water. :)

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm set to have the surgery this Thursday.

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

kitri wrote:

good luck!

I think if gatorade is too thick, I might dilute it with water. Thanks for the advice, both of you.

Leonard, no problem at all. How are you holding up? Hopefully your half-and-half mix of Gatorate and water works, although if I were you I might try Vitamin water. That's definitely better and lighter.

Just got my tonsils out this morning! When I woke up, my head was woozy with a sore throat and I had the shakes pretty bad. After 20 minutes though, I started feeling better and about 40 minutes after I was awoken, I was all set to leave.

Had a minor headache when I got home and drank a slightly watered down cold Ensure, some Vitamin Water and water. After I drank that, my throat started hurting pretty bad and I had some very slight ear pain so I took some lortab and within 5 minutes, all my pain vanished!

Right now, I'm absolutely PAIN FREE except for when i swallow things; besides that I feel great!

I'm getting ready for some real pain though since I heard the worst pain is on the second, third and fourth days!

That's what I've heard too. Enjoy your pain-free moments for now though! YOu'll be feeling well enough soon and then you can share everything you've learned from your experiences, hopefully. HOw are you doing?

Just about done with the second day, and I feel largely the same as I did the day of the surgery.

Pain when I swallow, but besides that, fairly normal! I take pain medication (liquid lortab) twice a day: once when I wake up and once before I sleep. I haven't needed to take it anymore than that so far.

As far as eating goes, I've stayed on a fully liquid diet for the first two days. Abundance of water, chicken soup, vitamin water, and ensure (4 bottles a day) keep me going though I'm starved for some actual substance. Tomorrow (day 3) I plan on eating mashed potatoes and some scrambled eggs.

Hopefully the pain continues to stay at a low level!

Well, it sounds like you're being VERY smart by staying hydrated! THe most trouble people seem to come across is when they disobey the doctor's orders for the most part. Can you give me an update? How are you doing?

Hi Leonard,

I hope all is going well, i had my op in June and it's not a pleasent experiance! Im 22 and from the UK.

Based on my recovery i would say the most important thing to do is drink!! I drank so much water that i needed the bathroom every 15 mins but it's so worth it as this keeps the scabs hydrated and your throat won't be as sore.

Day one to five were a bit of a blur, as the anesteic knocked me for six, i only took strong paracetamol as all the other prescribed drugs made me feel worse. I ate normal food from day one which i think helped the healing process. At about day six I thought i was getting better and was even doing things around the house, i though i would be back to work as soon as possible- i was wrong!!

Day Six - Ten, these were by far the worst days. Be prepared for cronic ear aches buring throat pain and just generally feeling like ****! I suffered a post op bleed on day six and was rushed back to A&E with an infection, luckily they didn't need to re cauterize but kept me in for two nights on a drip. My surgeon was more concerned about the infecton than the bleeing as he said that tonsills "bleed for England"! I wish they had told me that before as it was the scariest few hours of my life!!
They don't know what caused the infection as i was eating and drinking normally - just shows things can go wrong even if you do everything right. I was then sent home with more pain relief drugs and antibiotics. The next few days i took things easy stocking on DVD's, good books and day time telly. Be prepared for these days by asking friends and family to come and see you as you really won't feel like doing anything. I also remember feeling really angry that i wasn't better yet or being in floods of tears for the same reason. You will need someone to vent off too!! You will have good days and bad days and this was highly frustating for me to go to bed feeling almost normal and waking up feeling worse!!

Day twelve was my turning point and things only got better from there. It took at least four weeks to fully recover and even then when you return to work you will feel drained by the end of the day. Just take things in your own time.

My tips for getting through would be:

1. DRINK DRINK DRINK!!
2. Keep on top of your pain killers - every four hours. Don't come off them until you are ready. Even if it is weeks after.
3. Get a good nights sleep - some people set an alarm for the early hour to take their pain meds. If you can try and sleep through the night. As you wil feel better having undistrubed sleep and it means you can take more pain killer during your waking hours. I used to set an alarm for six in the morning take my pills and then sleep until about nine and the pain would have reduced!
4. Lots of good books, DVD's, magazines ect to keep you occupied.
5. A good support network of friends and family who can just come and sit with you when you need to cry or be angry.
6. Milkshakes were a god send by days six to seven as i was so hungry and solid foods were just to much.
7. Eat little and often as my throat would just close up after eating a certain amount of foods as it was just to painful.
8. If you like you have a temperture conact your Doc straight away as infections are NOT nice!
9. Take each day at a time, just because you feel okay one day doesn't mean you will feel better the next. You will have good day and bad days. This is normal however frustating.
10. DRINK DRINK DRINK!!! I know i have had this twice but it is the most important. I lived on Ribeana as its full of anti oxidents. Stay away from citrius of fizzy drinks. These HURT! Warm tea was also good.

Any way good luck Leonard! - if you have any questions let me know!

Cheryl

Well, it's day 5 now, and I haven't used the pain medication for 2 full days now.

I think I've gotten off a lot easier than most and my doc finds it surprising I've had almost no pain.

Well, I've been drinking 2 ensures a day (down from 4-5 the first 3 days) and have moved to drinking frozen gatorade instead of vitamin water. I've been eating scrambled eggs for lunch, and mac and cheese for dinner; I had KFC last night and shredded a few pieces of meat with the mashed potatoes and mac and cheese.

My throat has been itchy and irritated once in a while, and I have to struggle not to cough to clear my throat.

So far, so good. Hopefully, I'm nearing the end of the recovery process; I hope to enjoy a completely normal diet by the end of this week in about 5 more days.

Thanks for all the responses and support; appreciate it!

It sounds to me like you've really recovered very well! You may just have a naturally high pain threshhold. Most people are in at least a LITTLE pain by this point but it sounds to me like it's been a virtual cakewalk for you. Good job! Are you eating solids already, I mean, regular meals?

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

Leonard Shelby wrote:

Well it's day 10 now, and i've moved on to a totally normal diet. I'm still careful to not anything spicy or acidic or too rough/hard for at least a few more days but I've mostly been back to normal. I had a little sharp pain in the middle of the night on day 6 and 7, but I didn't need to take any pain meds for it and it faded quickly. I stopped taking meds since day 3 but I don't think my case was typical.

The hardest part for me was not being able to eat; at night my stomach was empty without enough solids.

Overall though, I have to say I'd easily do it again. Already, my nose is clearer from removing my enlarged tonsils (classified plus 4) and I was told I no longer snore at night. I've been having more dreams at night (deeper sleep perhaps?) and I don't constantly yawn during the day anymore. Depending on the circumstance, I'd definitely recommend a tonsillectomy to anyone though recovery may not be as smooth as mine. I guess I was one of the lucky ones or I just have a high pain threshold.