Hi, for the last couple of years I’ve been having difficulties seeing distant objects and signs. However, the things that are close to me, I see perfectly. A doctor told me that I have a long-term myopia. Can you tell me something more about it?

Hi, one-third of the population is experiencing the same thing as you. Myopia or nearsightedness is a very common disorder that causes problems with seeing distant objects. You probably feel headaches sometimes, which is a common symptom. This disorder often appears in the childhood, and get worse with aging. The best way of treating myopia is wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses. It is actually more a prevention of progression than a real treatment. There is also a refractive surgery, but it is not always recommended. The best thing is to stick to your doctor’s instructions, and if you don’t agree with him, ask for another opinion.