I would like to know what causes the near-sightedness and what causes long-sightedness? I never understood why some people near-sighted and others long-sighted are. My boyfriend is near sighted and his ophthalmologist told him that it can be reduce significantly with glasses. Is that true?

Perhaps, it is possible. Nearsightedness occurs when light entering the eye focuses just before the retina instead of directly on the retina and it is caused by either a steep cornea or an elongated eye. Nearsightedness is best treated with eyeglasses and con eyeglasses and contact lenses. However, refractive surgery is available as a treatment. It is inherited problem. Long-sightedness is a common condition that affects the ability to focus. In a long-sighted eye the light focuses behind the retina and it blurring the image. The exact causes of long-sightedness are not understood and glasses and contact lenses are the most common method used to correct most refractive errors.