Hello everyone,

I hope that someone can help me out with this because I'm a bit scared, I have to admit it.

In the past couple of months I've been having some problems with my heart but I decided not to think much about this because I had a lot of other things on my mind. Now my girlfriend got mad at me for not paying attention to my health so she called my doctor and the two of them set a date for me to have cardiac catheterization done.

I got no idea what this is so I need some info. What is it and what could I possibly expect from it?

Hello Alan,

Don't be scared, it is not a big deal really.

Cardiac catheterization is a procedure to examine how well your heart is working. A thin, hollow tube called a catheter is inserted into a large blood vessel that leads to your heart. 

This cardiac catheter provides information about how well your heart works, identifies problems and allows for procedures to open blocked arteries. This is a very safe procedure and that's why you don't have anything to worry about. It is just used to see is your heart working as it should and if it is not, it is going to show your doctor what's the problem with it.

Hi you two,

Actually, some people happen to have some minor problems, but these problems are indeed minor and they rarely happen. These include developing bruises where the catheter had been inserted(called a puncture site) and the contrast dye sometimes causes some people to feel sick to their stomachs, get itchy or develop hives.

You are going to be given instructions on what to eat and drink during 24 hours before the procedure is going to take place. You should talk to someone who has a driving license because you are going to need someone to take you home after the procedure is done.

Hey everybody,

No need to worry about this, bud. I had this procedure done twice in my life already and I need to do it again in one month. 

There are some complications which could occur, your doctor will tell you about these before the procedure but you really have nothing to worry about, even if they happen, they are not dangerous, look at me, I did this twice and I had no complications at all.

You can expect that you will know for sure about what is wrong with your heart (if there is anything wrong). This is a reliable procedure.

Hi guys,

I'll agree that you needn't worry about this, Alan. I didn't have any close experience with this procedure but I heard that it is totally safe to do. There are some minor complications which could happen but they can't really affect your health or anything.

Like they told you, you will have to follow some instructions before you undergo this procedure. These instructions will need to be obeyed two days before the procedure is going to be done. It is going to tell you how to feed yourself, what to eat and what not to do, it is important that you follow the steps that you are going to get.

Good day guys.

Cardiac catheterization is a medical procedure that doctors use to diagnose and treat some heart conditions. A very long and thin, also a flexible tube called a catheter doctors put into a blood vessel in your arm or neck and threaded to your heart. Well, through the catheter your doctor can do the main diagnostic tests and the treatments for your heart.

Also, doctors can use ultrasound during cardiac catheterization to see blockages in the coronary arteries. Doctors may take the samples of your blood and heart muscle during the cardiac catheterization or do the minor heart surgery.

My mom needed to do this because doctors wanted to be sure that that her heart is working properly. It is basically not so complicated procedure but it is a little bit unpleasant.

Doctors can recommend this for a couple of reasons. Chest pain can be a symptom that something is wrong with your heart, just like this was a case with my mom. Doctor told her that cardiac catheterization can show whether plaque is narrowing or blocking your coronary arteries.

It usually takes several hours to recover from this and after the procedure she was in the recovery room for about an hour.

Good day everyone.

This is simple procedure.

But after the procedure you need to have an amazing home care because this operation is not that easy like you think. You should be aware that you will have to rest after this if you want to be ok.

Recovery period is very important. You should know that after this procedure it is very common for the groin site to be sore for a few days after procedure. If that happens, you need to contact your doctor about this and seek for some narcotic if the pain is big. Generally, you should be fine.