Hi, I would like to know more about angiogram and angioplasty, since my doctor suggested me to take these procedures to prevent further progression of arthrosclerosis. How these procedures work?

An angiogram is x-ray filming, which is used to diagnose narrowing of arteries. If arteries are not able to transport sufficient amount of the blood, surrounding tissue is not supplied enough with oxygen and nourishing substances, what causes diminished function of organs and if that becomes a chronic condition permanent dysfunction of an organ may develop. The procedure of the angiogram is done with a tube being inserted into the artery and usage of contrast medium to make blood vessels visible on x-ray picture. Angioplasty is done to blow up a narrowed or blocked artery. The procedure is done with tube with balloon on the end and is being used to avoid or delay a surgery.

So is an Angioplasty used to prevent a heart attack? I'm trying to do research for a paper I'm writing and I'm comparing notes. Thanks for your help!

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed