Hello, folks. My friend gave birth yesterday. However, it seems that something is wrong with a baby. She survived a birth trauma. Doctors said that she had cephalhaematoma. I must admit that I haven't heard about this condition before, so I would like to ask what it is. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Cephalhaematoma is a certain amount of blood between a skull and a periosteum (tissue that surrounds each bone). It can appear with new born babies, especially if the second phaseof delivery is prolonged. If ventouse is used for delivery, cephalhaematoma can also appear. The main symptoms are jaundice, hypotension and anemia. In some cases, it can point out a linear skull fracture. This is dangerous since infection can spread and osteomyelitis or meningitis can appear. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck!