Hello, folks. My friend has been hospitalized due to her elbow fracture. I must admit that I am afraid she might develop some of the complications. For instance, I would like to know when we can suspect that there is ischemic contraction going on. I would appreciate all your replies considering this.

Hi, there. You are right. One of the most common complications of elbow fracture is Volkmann’s ischemic contracture. It has several forms. You can suspect if a person has flexed two or three fingers. In that way, doctors must pay special attention to that patient. I don’t know many details about this. I hope someone will inform you more. Good luck with all! Bye!

Hello, everyone. My niece had ischemic contracture. It really started with flexion of several fingers. However, later there was a loss of sensation in those fingers. Luckily, doctors noticed this on time, so they could react. I think that these could be the first warning signs. Swelling is also something that can show potential danger. It is the swelling that is responsible for contracture. He presses nerves and blood vessels which is the main event. I hope this helps. Bye!