Hello, good people. My wife delivered a baby last night. However, there were some difficulties during labor and it seems that something is wrong with our baby. Doctors says our baby has cephalhematoma. I would like to know whether this condition is dangerous. I would appreciate all your replies. Bye, guys!

Hello. Cephalhaematoma is usual when ventouse is used during delivery. It represents a collection of blood between the skull and periosteum (outer layer of the bone). It can be dangerous if complications appear. Some of them are hyperbilirubinemia and anemia. Intracranial hypertension can also appear. Cephalhaematoma can sometimes be a sign of linear skull fracture. This is dangerous since the infection can enter the skull. In that case, baby can develop osteomyelitis or meningitis. I hope this helps.