Hello, folks. My sister in law has recently had some kind of injury of her hand. I know that it is a fracture, but I am not sure which part it is. Later, she got ischemic contraction. I would like to know what the signs are of this condition. I would appreciate if someone could answer me this.

Hello, there. Ischemic contraction usually appears when some injury or trauma occurs. Volkmann’s contracture is one of the most common. It affects the muscles of forearm. Fingers, hand and wrists are also affected. It is usually caused by elbow fracture. There are different types of these cases. In the most severe ones, all hand is contracted and one cannot use it. I hope your sister in law will be all right. Bye!

Hello, everyone. Ischemic contracture has three types. Those are: mild, moderate and severe. Mild contracture has two or three fingers affected by flexion contracture. There is limited or no loss of sensation. In moderate form, all fingers are flexed. Thumb is stuck in palm. Wrist may also be flexed. There is a loss of sensation in the hand. In severe form, all muscles of forearm are involved. I hope this helps.