On 10/11/06 my daughter was backing out of our garage and when she turned the car wheel, I was standing too close and the tire ran over and drug me under the car. At first I thought she had ran over both ankles, however turned out both feet.

My right foot is in a cast and I have fractures of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsals. This is not that painful. However, my left foot sustained fractures of my 1st, 2nd and 5th metatarsal with a Lisfranc dislocation of the 1st metatarsal. This is extremely painful. :'(

Closed surgery was performed on my left foot and Kwires were put into my foot to hold things in place. I've been back for rechecks two times now. I cannot put any weight on left foot what so ever (like I could) and can lightly pivot on the heel of my right foot when transfering from bed to wheelchair etc.

From what I've read this is a severe injury that will take some time to recover from. I go back to the doctor on the 22nd of November and he said he may be able to remove the Kwires at that time, that puts me about 6 weeks post op. He said that I will require physical therapy and ideally will eventually be able to walk without a limp. :-(

I am just wondering how long other's recovery has taken and how long the severe pain last. I'm taking Percocet after Hydrocodone making me sick and having to take them to often. The percocet work much better and I do not have to take them nearly as often but I do have to take them within about 6 hours apart. The Kwires is what really seems to be hurting. It's a deep aching pain, with some sharpness at times with throbbing. When they removed my cast to look at the wires yesterday I noticed my foot still looking very deformed (and still somewhat swollen), does this go away?

I asked the doctor if I was being a wimp for still having to take the pain meds but he assured me that this is a very painful severe injury that will take a long time to heal. Any experiences you may have, input or suggestions that might help would be appreciated.

I own my own business and will not be able to work for quite some time, so I've had a lot of time to research this Lisfranc stuff and do not like what I've seen as far as recovery time. I'm 39 by the way and otherwise in great health.

Thanks all,
Sammi

I had the same injury occur to me from a motocross accident and had 3 dislocated bones and 6 torn ligaments. My surgery was November 1st and required 6 pins to fuse 3 joins. My first followup is next week, November 21st. So far I would say there is nothing I've experienced (broken bones, torn ligaments, burns, cuts etc) that was even close to the pain this has been. I've been taking Perocet every 4 hours for the last 10 days (I was on morphine at the hospital for 3 days, oxycontin after that but that seems harder on my stomach). I've been told I won't be able to walk on it at all for 10 weeks (8 weeks from now).

I guess your further along in recovery than I am by a couple of weeks, but it sounds like we've had fairly similar experience.

Good luck!

I also suffered a Lis Franc dislocaton to my left foot back in Jan 06 after a slip on icy stairs.

At the time I was also recovering from an insertion tear in my right Achillies tendon. Wish I could say it's not a very long frustrating process....Dislocated all 5 toes, but no fracture. Had to have 3 screws & 2 wires put in. The wires were definitley the most uncomfortable, I guess because they were external & always seemed to be pressing against the cast no matter how I tried to position my foot. They were taken out after 6 weeks. The screws were taken out after 5 months! Couldn't put any weight on the foot for 5 months. It really helped to be able to use a "Roll-About" rather than crutches, kind of like a walker for one leg. It looks a little weird, but it's so much easier to go out to the grocery store or where ever & not have to hobble along on crutches.

Anyway, I was able to walk again starting in July 06 using the boot,and without the boot a couple of weeks later. All the use of leg with the Achillies tendon problem reaggrevated that so I had to put that in a boot for another 2 months. I'm just now walking boot free for the first time in about a year!

I have lost 30% of the function in the foot. Some areas are bone on bone, so arthritis is going to be an issue, may have to have them fused at some point.

My doctor said it takes a good year or so to recover completely, not an easy fix by any means. Between the swelling and the lovely set of 4" scars running down the center of my foot, I too think my foot looks "deformed", but it gets better once the swelling goes down (and it does go down, just not fast enough).

Most of the time it's more annoying than anything else, can't go barefoot or tip-toe, but it is slowly getting better. No real pain, more of the ache from the arthritis problem than the dislocation. I can walk pretty well, some days better than others, and since it's not too stong yet, my foot tires or gets sore easliy. It has to be the most frustrating type of foot injury. An orthodic helps too, gives additional support, you can really feel the difference.

Overall it's a long process but it does get better, just takes a long time.

Hi there!
Here is a link to a crushed foot witness, from podiatry today.
podiatrytoday.com/article/2328
I had a crushed foot myself, and my foot was crushed when I was dragged under a car. My foot got pulverized, and then crushed when the car came to a stop. Some people had to lift the car off of my foot.
I remember that there were a few prominent questions that I had immediately at the time or shortly after I was injured.
Those questions are : 1) WHERE AM I?(in regards to this injury type that I previously knew nothing about)
2) WHERE AM I GOING?(how do I get out of this?)
3) What is the path, or what is the way out?

-you need to have access to the current and historical witnessings and information about your injuries types.

FAITH HEALING IS PREFERABLE TO ANY OTHER PATH/WAY, IN REGARDS TO THE CRUSHED FOOT INJURY.
Faith in Jesus Christ. The high priests of the christian churches can pray and annoint you with oil.

This is a complex injury.
I got tortured by my crushed foot injury.

Honestly, if I could have been healed miraculously, then that would have been far better, than for me to go through all that 'physio' stuff.

I never did get a faith healing, you know. I got tortured.

The 'physio' involved 1) INTENSIVE FOOT EXERCISES
2) TENS UNIT APPLICATIONS TO LOWER LEG AND BOTTOM OF FOOT MUSCLES
3) TRAMPOLINE(BUT NOT AT FIRST)(THIS IS DUE TO THE 'ELASTICITY' OF THE 'SOFT TISSUES')

***THE TRAMPOLINE WAS REALLY THE MIRACLE OF NATURAL MANS 'PHYSIO' TREATMENT PROTOCOLS, BUT IT WAS ACCOMPANIED BY SOME REALLY GROSS TORTURES

4) BALANCING BOARD
5)SWIMMING
6)CYCLING

****RECENTLY, I REALIZED THAT THE SAUNA PROVIDES A PLACE WHERE A PERSON CAN 'HEAT' THE BODY, THEREBY LOOSENING THE BODY FOR STRETCHINGS.

swimming provides freedoms from the pain of the crushed foot, because it is hard to move around as much when moving causes too much pain.
Hanging onto the edge in the shallow end and gently moving your legs and feet might help, but please be gentle.

MY FOOT WAS VERY BADLY CRUSHED, SO THERE IS HOPE IN NATURAL MANS METHODS, BUT AS I WAS SAYING EARLIER, IT WOULD BE BETTER TO JUST GET AN IMMEDIATE FAITH HEALING.

UTILIZING THE TRAMPOLINE, AND DOING INTENSIVE FOOT EXERCISES, COMBINED WITH INTENSIVE FOOT STRETCHINGS(THE ENTIRE BODY NEEDS TO BE STRETCHED TOO).
THAT WAS HOW I DID IT.
BUT, THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE INTERNAL DAMAGES, AND THE INTERNAL PARTS KEPT 'CONTRACTING', OR 'RE-COMPRESSING'.
IT WAS A HORRIBLE THING.
the stretching is done in all dimensions. The exercises are done in all dimensions. the trampoline works the internal parts of the foot in multiple directions, and it was the #1 thing. But, it was dangerous, because my foot was so fragile. Be careful.
Swimming is excellent, and it helps alot. gently.

YOU NEED TO BE REAL GENTLE WITH YOUR FEET.
I DID NOT START THE TRAMPOLINE UNTIL ABOUT 6 MONTHS AFTER THE FOOT WAS CRUSHED.
THE FOOT HAD A REACTION IMMEDIATELY TO THE TRAMPOLINE, AND I ASK THAT YOU SEND ME AN E-MAIL, IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE.

I HATE TO LEAD PEOPLE INTO TORTURES, SO AS I SAID BEFORE, A FAITH HEALING IS THE WAY TO GO.

e-mail me at **************
and I'll check my e-mail, and I'll try to get back to you

I encountered contradictions with this injury, that perplexed me greatly,
such as the reasoning between amputation, and keeping the foot, and I also reasoned with death.

The foot was in a trap, internally, and I sort of regard this as a 'forces trap'. I am not sure how to be truthful, and yet still provide hope.
Please forgive me. I understand quite a bit about the crushed foot, but not everything. The pain is sort of mixed with other bodily systems damages and it sort of goes through the spinal column and blasts/explodes into the brain, and over-runs, and devastates.
Unrelenting, unmerciful pain.
Does this sort of sound familiar to your experience?
By the way: Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
**************

Greg

**this post is edited by moderator ** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

I fell Sept 2005 and had lisfranc dislocation and fracture involving 3 screws and a Kirchner pin. I was totally non weight bearing from Sept.-January with PT in a pool Jan-Feb. Screws were removed in Feb 2006. I am still in PT BUT can honestly say I am finally walking with very little pain. PT is essential. Be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing or it can inflame your foot. It still hurts at the end of the day but it IS getting better--slowly but surely. It is a long process. My surgeon was a foot specialist and he too explained that this is a SEVERE injury and should be treated as such. Good luck.

My 16-year-old daughter injured her foot running into a gopher hole while playing soccer Sept 2006. Was diagnosed as sprain and she was on crutches for a week and then began putting weight on it slowly. She was on the highschool tennis team at the time and went back to playing tennis 3 weeks after the injury. Foot swelled but pain was not as severe. Went back to playing soccer 5 weeks after injury but that was much more difficult since you have to kick the ball with your foot. Went back to doctor when foot was not healing as expected and her 2nd x-ray didn't show anything out of the norm so we were referred to a Podiatrist just before Thanksgiving. He diagnosed her injury very quickly, did a bone scan, an put her in a boot hoping no surgery was necessary. It's now mid-December and she is scheduled for surgery on Dec 22nd! I'm VERY concerned because she was not diagnosed quickly enough. She LOVES soccer and all the posts that I'm seeing sure sound like she is in for MONTHS of pain even after the pins are removed. Any advice on what kind of PT will help her get back on the field?

Hey Soccer Mom,
Do you know how many screws she'll need?
I had 6 put in.
I'm 13 weeks post-op and am feeling much better. For the first 8 weeks I thought I'd like to get my doctor alone in a dark room! :-) By about week 10 I thought I might make it. And now I'm walking with barely a limp. I do have pain at night still but have been able to control it with Ibuprofren (now that I'm cleared to take that again). I couldn't play soccer yet but I've attempted to jog lightly. I couldn't quite do it, but I think in 4-6 weeks I will.

I don't know if they're all this severe or less, but I would think she'd need 4-6 months to be back at soccer? Tell her to hang in there and remember she will be able to run again!

Friday 13th of Jan 2006 i had a major car accident. I fractured my left anckle, right tibia, pelvis and damaged right frontel lobe (Brain damage)

im finding it hard to get full range out of the anckle as it has so much scar tissue and im at the physio two times a week and hydro pool once a week.

I fainted Jan.8,2007 after donating blood, sustaining a moderate Lis-Franc fracture. These narrations are helpful in that it dispells any notion that I might be tempted to do something I shouldn't. It was shocking to think that I'd be unable to work for a few weeks, let alone a few months. My cast comes off at 6 weeks unless there's been a shift. I fear that I will not be able to remember how to walk, but everyone's warnings to just take it a little at a time, will be my mantra. No, I didn't have any surgical reduction. Maybe I should show these anecdotes to my H.R. Dept. so that they'll know I won't be lifting patients any more. That was my job. The near future is ......continuing on disability.

8)
I had surgery 1/9/2007 and I ended up with 6 screws 1 pins and a bracket. The pin was removed two weeks ago but the bracket and screws are going to be removed the first of May in a second surgery. My question is why or has anyone else had a second surgery to remove the screws and brackets? Can they leave the screws and bracket?

Thanks

I had surgery for a lisfrac injury last Thursday (a week ago) it went ok. There was more than 2cm seperation, the Dr. said if it was less than 2 then he wouldn't have to insert screws but since it was more than 2cm then he had to put in the screws. The crutches are hard to get around since my job requires me to carry stuff and I can't do that with no available hands, but i'm sure I will figure something out to adapt to my situation.

I'm wearing a non-weight bearing cast for 3 weeks then will go in to get another cast, they said maybe will give me a weight bearing cast then. So 3 weeks not walking seems like a lot but i'm sure I can do it. Only thing the Dr. said since it is a severe injury I will not be able to return to sports (Football and Basketball) until after 6 months.

I didn't even know about Lisfranc till my injury but it doesn't seem that bad, doesn't hurt but the main thing is to prevent future arthritis and pain thats why the surgery was necessary to help close the gap. I'm a week after surgery and can put weight on my non-weightbearing cast even through I'm good for the most part and do not since I dont want to mess up the recovery process and make it take longer. But its good to know my foot is healing and can take some pressure every once and a while because the first few days after surgery and after the accident it hurt bad. but now I dont even have to take any pain killers . The main pain comes from my hands from having to use the crutches all the time and also from the inconvienance of not being able to walk and carry stuff, and to be ever so aware not to put weight on the foot.

Here it is now in June and I can jog and ice skate. Still hurts to make sharp cuts when running but I would say I'm about 90% back. Man, what a long injury to recover from.

Hi all I just went through the operation myself. I got 5 screws and a small pin. I will be non weight bearing for 8-12 weeks. It is very painfull although it is getting better day by day. as the young man stated above I too could ber weight but I know better. I don't fear the arthritis near as much as I fear not being able to hike and bike and water ski.
Just FYI if this is just happening to you there are very few ortho sugeons in the US whom SHOULD do this operation I went to the number 2 man in the country Benershke I highly reccomend him he works at Harborveiw Medical Center in Seattle. I was told there are only 10 in the entire country who are qualified. So make sure you get the right guy. Anyway time will tell how mine goes. I'll mark this in my favs and report back untill I am well.

I fractured my fifth Metatarsal on October 29, 07. My left foot was asleep and I unknowingly stood up right away to walk, twisting my foot backwards, and stepping down. I felt little pain at first due to my foot being asleep. When it woke up, I was in severe pain. After a trip to the emegency room, a xray confirmed it was a fracture. I was on crutches for 6 days, standing on just my heel for 4 days, and now I can stand on my foot but not any of my toes, which causes me to limp still. I think I lost some muscle tone or developed some foot drop from immobilization. Also still in pain, brusied, and swollen. There is a lot difficulty with healing, fractures rely on good circulation, and this area of the foot bone has a poor blood supply. At 26, I have osteopnea as side effect from depo-provera, birth control. This may have caused my foot to break easier, but PLEASE make sure your foot isn't asleep before standing!!!!!

I broke my fifth metatarsal on Dec 5th by falling off my slipper and stepping onto the side of my foot. Yes, my slipper.... It was put into an aircast the next day and the doctor told me I could walk on it right away. Unfortunately, I probably shouldn't have. My own doctor told me at five weeks that she would have had me off it for two weeks. Anyway, no sign of healing at 5 weeks, or again yesterday at 9 weeks. In fact, it looks, to me anyway, that the gap on the outside of the bone looks to be a little wider. The break is further down on the shaft then most articles I can find on broken 5th metatarsals so I don't know what information is valid for it. I wouldn't call it a stress fracture since I actually heard it go snap.

I'm being referred to an orthopedic specialist now, though I don't know what he'll do. I've been on high doses of calcium but I am osteopenic, just barely over the line and take Actonel for it. How the heck do you build bone if it doesn't want to do it? I'm getting really tired of this cast and not being able to drive. I'm not really crazy about the pain either. :-(