For those who train with a heart rate monitor....what method did you use to calculate/decide upon your maximum heart rate??

Just got one for Christmas, wore it yesterday for the first time, I think it will be great for cylcing on the trainer and for hard runs.

I went out and ran a couple of miles to warm up and then sprinted up a good hill as hard as a could a couple of times and used the highest number the HRM held for a couple of seconds.

I think a treadmill test would be pretty accurate too.

I warmed up with a mile run then, did a series of 40 meter up hill sprints with a downhill recovery, at the end of the downhill I turned around and went all out up hill. Took about 5 sets before I got the ticker up there.

I was able to achieve 176, using that method

Hill sprinting is a good way to determine Max HR.. another is at races especially ones with hilly courses..that should give you quite an accurate reading especially if you go hard on the hilly portions

GOOD QUESTION!!!!! I am trying to figure out how to get mine. I think what i thought was mine were actually artifacts the HRM picked up. over the years i regularly saw on the HRM readings hitting 190-215. i figured they were "spikes" a double beat or something like that. Now having read actually on HRM training i doubt it was truly my HR. thinking now that 175 may be my MHR considering the perceived exertion. using the "talking" method it seems to be a count of 145-150 with a cruise of 124. i have been thinking about the "hill" method though when it is more convenient.

Since we are twins, Greg and I would always update the number

I did 10 hill repeats then some 200 meter repeat to almost make myself puke.