I had my gallbladder removed 5 days ago. Starting on my 4th day post-op I developed a pain when I breathe deeply. It hurts in the right side of my upper abdomen and also in my back area. It's not the pain like it was when I had my gallbladder attacks - is this normal? It is most painful when I inhale and not so much when I exhale. (But not the point where I can't stand it, obviously).

I should also mention that, ever since my surgery I have a constant feeling in my upper belly that I am incredibly full. You know that over-eating feeling you get? So constantly, I am feeling like I have stomache cramps from over-eating...

Is this all normal?

All is well,,,,,,you have had an organ cut out of your body, so YES there is going to be discomfort. The bloating is from the carbon dioxide used during surgery to inflate your tummy to see everything. I am four days post-op, but recovering nicely...be patient....it's a bigger deal than some realize. :-D

There may be some pain in your rib cage due to Costochondritis which starts when there is trauma, surgery for instance, look it up.

hope your healing nicely,
Eve

It is a bigger deal than they tell you it will be. I'm 4 days post-op and I've been having aches below the heart, over and below the ribcage, at the back. Don't worry, it'll go away...

I am sooooo grateful to read this!!! I have had a lot of pain in my chest in the last four days. I am relieved to hear this is normal.

I had my gall bladder removed a week last friday by keyhole....I also have pain in my back when inhaling :-(

I had mine removed 2 days ago and when I'm trying to nap I wait up with the feeling that I stopped breathing.   I had this feeling last night but it must have went away since I finally went to sleep.

anyone else experience this?

I had my gallbladder removed 4/25/2011 and I had the problem with the breathing.

Now I have a new issue.

1 month and 1 weeks later stomach is upset and bloated at top and i have a pain on right side. went to er had cat scan with contrast, blood work done and they said its nothing.

I am here to tell you this is not nothing

I had mine removed. Now after 5 days it feels like someone stabbing me with a knife under the ribcage on the right side when i breathe in or yawn. I ended up in the emergency room because I could not get a breath, I would breathe in then gasp for more until I was going into panic attacks. It was a nightmare, it does not seem to be getting better and I don't know what it is. If I knew that this would happen I would not have had it removed. If I cough its the end of the world, my gut feels like its being torn open. I am having a real bad time with this and don't know what to do.

Me here...  After 12 days post surgery, I still have some pains in right side , I am tired soon if start do something.. And more bad is I am always bloating... If eat something, any little, I am bloated... I hate this ... And I know this is not from the anesthesy as was pass 12 days already...  :(   And I have also an allergy... in my lungs and troath, I cough, I feel rash inside, I think it is from anesthesy intubation ???   I took antibiotics, I tough it was a virose, but not helps, I took sirup for cough, not help, I will take allergy piulls tomorrow... :(

I had been operated on 22/9/2012 because of gallstones. Doctors told me that it was  a minor surgery and it would take just half an hour and I would be discharged next day.But.... it took almost three hours and I was discharged  on 25/9/1012.now i feel lumps in belly button and mild pain aroud the navel countinuously........

can any body help me?

Request your surgical report. Its your medial report and you have a right to see exactly what happened during surgery. I had my Gall bladder removed 4 days ago and am recovering. I have pain and a hard time breathing. I have asthma so I am aware that I am at risk for these issues. Also since I had an organ that helps me with digesting fat removed I am taking care to be gentle on my body. Small low fat meals spread out. Yogurt to aid in digestion. Oranges to help me heal. I got in this situation because I was not a friend to my body. Learn your lesson. You will have to change or you will continue to hurt or have issues. good luck.

I am having problem .. just like you have described .. it is the same pain .. yeah .. cant yawn denind body down with like someone has stabbed with a knife from the inside .... but i didnt have any surgery pain has started just a week ago and i was thinking of removing gallbladder but after reading your post what is the point if the pain is same even having a surgery... am confused ...

The pain is normal- as made obvious by all of those who report it. You had an organ taken out, it's going to be sore in that area for a while. I had mine out 4/4/13 and now, 4/9/13. I am experiencing exactly what you all are talking about. My surgeon reassured me it will go away in time, and it is perfectly normal. It's because when you inhale deeply (yawning, deep breaths, coughing, etc) it puts pressure on the area where the organ was removed. We just gotta hang in there and take it easy! Good luck! (:

I had the same feeling after my surgery. I felt that i stop breathing every time i was falling asleep. I almost stayed up one night because of my feat. But when you finally asleep it's gone. I found that sleeping in up-right position helped, on 3rd day felt a bit better. Still painful to have a deep breath, and pain in my shoulders drive me nuts, but after reading that almost all people have it after the surgery i'm more calm now. Hope we all feel better soon :)