Before I go on about the symptoms, I'll put out some background information: I'm on an awful sleeping pattern, falling asleep around 1:00-1:30am, and I wake up at 5:30am for school. I pull all-nighters in order to finish homework, and I don't nap. Over the weekend, sleeping from 12am-12pm doesn't help me enough to recuperate fully. I don't nap because I take Adderall (I have A.D.D.) and it keeps me awake throughout the day. I get tired around 8:30pm, once the Adderall has run out completely I guess. Recently though, along with struggling with memory, eye-dryness, light sensitivity, dizziness, tension headaches, muscle aches, and slow speech, I've started to notice a change in my breathing. Just last night, I was trying to nap (around 9:30pm). I was lying on my side, as I usually do, and I could not take deep breaths. I thought it was my position, so I moved onto my back but the feeling didn't go away. My lungs felt compressed and although it wasn't painful, it was worrying me. My mind wanted to fall asleep but my difficult breathing kept me from it. If I did fall asleep, I only woke up shortly after, needing to take a deep breath, still unable to. Whenever I finally did take the deep breath, too soon woudl I feel the need to take another. I could feel my heart beating, and I found myself checking my pulse pretty often within this 1-hour "nap." It was going pretty fast, but not fast enough to worry me. Since Adderall, I usually can feel my pulse from within.

Is the breathing problem coming from sleep deprivation? Coudl this be something else?

hello,
from what i understand ,i think u had a panic attak when ur very tierd and you dont sleep ur become hyper, thats the way ur body keeps going .but ur brain needs its rest so u feel this uneasy feeling (anxious)some ppl feel like they are having a heart attack or they r going to faint.i know that becaues i have the same symptoms and wores .my advice to u is cut off on caffein, suger and stimulents, use relaxation and breathing techniqs.and it never hurts to check up with ur doctor regulary to make sure ur in good health ,educate ur self about anxaity.and i hope this will help u.
P.S stop checking ur pulse u only scare ur self more. ;-)

I feel your pain. I work 40 hour weeks and take 16 credit hours, plus my girlfriend rides my behind all the time. I get an average of 5 hours of sleep and I do not have a social life. I've been to several doctors and they typically say to lessen the load and stop overloading yourself. You are cognizant of your heart beat because you are relaxed and focused on your heart beat (its normal). It happens to everyone. Lessen your load, plus weight doesn’t help either. The more fat on your stomach--the harder it is for deep breathing. I never felt this  shortness of breath when I was 180lbs, now at 223lbs it unbearable. You are burnt out-- I know because I feel the same way. Read scientific research on stress and memory-- it will tell you that stress has a huge impact on memory!!! Try these things: -Lay off caffeine -Don’t eat three hours prior to sleep -Exercise -School isn’t life or death -Have a quality social life -Lay off alcohol if consumed -Deep breathing may help, but often times it will make you focus on breathing even more--behavioral psychologist would tell you to do a compensatory movement that has nothing to do with breathing. -Talk to a medical doctor if the symptoms get worse -Get chest x-rays, get allergy tests, asthma test, check your heart--once you check all of these things it "puts your mind at easy" that you have checked everything physically and that it is only psychosomatic (mental). -And as cliché as it sounds-follow what you learned when you were in grade school. 1) Five basic food groups 2) Exercise. 3) 6-8 hours of sleep. We all know this, but we tend to forget in this fast paced environment. I am a combat veteran in graduate school. I have mastered these things and they are slowly helping me. I have been living with severe anxiety since I was in the Middle East during combat (4years). Don’t let it get the best of you and like the other person said study anxiety—slow down, school will mean nothing without your sanity.

Adderall can cause heart problems.

All of that sounds very similar to my personal experience, minus the Adderall. I often stay up late and wake up early. I went to the doctor for my breathing issue, feeling like I just couldn't get that full satisfying breath, as if I couldn't get that last 10% of lung capacity. All bloodwork and breathing tests came back normal. I run around 20 miles per week and eat pretty healthy.

I thought maybe my diaphragm was just tired; it is just a muscle, after all. I tried forcing myself to sleep more, and I have felt the effects lessen as a result. The few times I did become a little too sleep deprived, the breathing issues came back, so I do think they directly correlate to my sleep patterns. I suggest reducing your stress however you can and getting to bed earlier. Good luck!

Make yourself a hot water bottle wrap it un a towel and keep it close to your chest... Should help you relax and fall asleep.

Nope same thing happens to me. It's not a panic at all... I am very familiar with those. I have stayed up overnights a gazillion times... happens every time.

I went to bed at 5am last night and I also can't breathe... it also worries me very much and I'm crying right now typing this... it just freaks me out a lot and I'm under a lot of stress right now and... idk life's hard... I'm talking really quiet and slow today and my eyes are really heavy but most of all, I'm breathing harder and louder, trying to breathe. It annoys me and it feels like I'm holding my breathe even though I'm breathing... I woke up at 11pm today making that 6 hours of sleep... and I only stay up to watch YouTube it's really hard to talk with excitement and... I feel your pain bro.

Honestly my comment was the one above me, bro.

You literally described me, all the way down to the ADD, honestly i thought i wrote this and like completely forgot i wrote it or something. But what i wanted to know is there a name for this? Also i went into my doctor and she said to just get more sleep, and something about the Vagus nerve and stress. I am having very painful breathing as i write this, is there any treatment for this pain? Thanks!

holy sh*t your f*****g grammar dear jesus christ.

I see you posted 5 months ago, so hopefully this issue has been resolved for you.
I have struggled with this sensation periodically all my adult life. I noticed it always came at times when I was under a lot of stress or was very busy, also the day before I came down with an illness. It always went away on its own.
But his past year, at age 54, the breathing issue became acute, interfering with my ability to work and sleep. I was exhausted! Finally talked to my doctor about it. She said because of stress/anxiety, sometimes you don't get that deep sleep. Lack of sleep causes more stress/ anxiety.This all becomes a vicious cycle. She recommended Melotonin, a natural sleep hormone and, in my case, antianxiety meds.
Please, if you haven't already, see a doctor. I wish I had done so months ago.

I'm a teacher and I have a six year old. I stay up two nights per week to grade and plan. Sometimes my husband has to drive our daughter places because I'm so sleep deprived that it's dangerous to drive. By Friday (all nighter nights are Saturday and Thursday nights), I can't breathe, either. It feels like I'm holding my breath.

Hi! Experienced the same thing!!

I cannot believe this. I've been searching for this exact same symptom for YEARS now and this is the first time I come across a group of people who have it. I'm sorry you guys are experiencing it. It's a horrible symptom. And trust me, it's NOT the Adderal. I get this inability to get a satisfying breath thing (bad dyspnea) since age 18 or so when I started pulling all-nighters in college and with friends (I am 30-ish now). The only variable that has ever held stable were the all-nighters, which means you are right on track: it's the lack of sleep! 

The question is, why do we have this breathing issue when we are sleepy and most every other person does not??!! I am still searching for a medical professional to answer this question for me. If any doctor or medical student is out there reading this, please reply and help us out!!