I think on next Friday PM, I'm going to shoot for a 5K PR. The course if a very flat 2 loop run.

It's not an A level race though, so I don't want to take too much time away from regular training. Should I just take all of Thursday off + the day part of Friday and race that night? Would taking Wednesday off really help much?

For a taper, it's not crucial to go all the way to zero. Maybe an easy 3 on Thursday and Wednesday at half of what it would normally be. And if you can keep Tuesday to just easy mileage, your volume can stay there, but not over fatigue your legs.
Good luck! Sub-19 here he comes!!!

For me, I found that taking days off completely hurt my performance where an easy run of a couple of miles helped to keep me loose and my running form fluid. How do you feel when you start running again after a day off? :shrug:

Go light Wed and Thu, no weights.

Sounds like something I would say :D
If you are only running 3 or 4 days a week to start with, a day or two off before a race might be a good idea. On the other end of the spectrum, a high mileage runner would likely to a run in the morning before a night race to stay loose, even if it was a goal race.
Since I already run 7 days a week, for a relatively uninportant race, I might just make sure the race falls on what would normally be a hard day anyway. That makes the schedule look like hard-easy-race. For a fairly important race, I'll stretch the taper to hard-easy-very easy-race. Really this just adds one extra very easy day (NOT an off day) to my normal schedule. For my major goal races the main thing I change is just making my hard runs less hard for the last week or so. The major difference is more gearing the schedule towards peaking for the race instead of doing really severe taper.

That is surprising!

Good luck PH in Loganville. Early evening race on that flat, shaded course... you should do well.

I will give you the same advice you gave me @ the Reagan race in Snellville - Bust out of the gate in Mile 1, hang on in Mile 2, Pick off people at the end.... :)

I find myself doing pretty much what Craig does. When I take too much off or scale back to much, I think my body thinks it's in major repair mode or something and I retained too much fluid and I actually start to feel some aches and pains.

Many times I don't taper at all (but that, keep in mind, is because a 5k or 10k is just a training run or stepping stone toward my marathons). But I've definitely changed over the years. Fifteen years ago, (or whatever :P ), I would have taken thurs and friday off. That was in the days of trying to break 20 minutes and I'm sure my mileage was less than 50 mpw. I think when I was trying to break 19 minutes and my mileage was around 50 mpw, I found it best when I took Thursday off and light run on Friday and a GOOD warmup before the race.

Where you are at PH, I'd go with the Thursday off.....easy loose run on Friday, no weights this week, and scale back on the biking (if not the mileage of going to and fro to work---at least the intensity of the ride).